[Nfbf-l] News Line Addition

David Anspach danspach at tampabay.rr.com
Sat Feb 21 06:06:48 UTC 2009

Hi Kirk,
Yes sir. Diabetes gave me a helluva birthday present when I turned 24. I was
having some vision problems leading up to the month of March back in 1991,
but chose to contribute it to some sinus problems I had been having. I still
lived in Indiana then, and I had plenty of issues with my sinuses, so, was
taking a lot f sinus medication. For whatever reason, I chose not to go to
the eye doctor to have it checked out. Instead, I just kept going like a
foolish 20-something year old thinking I was indestructible. I ended up
going to the hospital because my blood pressure was at a stroke level and
they were concerned at the Immediate Care center that I went to for a
sprained ankle. They told me to go to an ER immediately because of the high
blood pressure.  Well, I ended up being in the hospital until sometime in
late April. When I got out, I was blind and my kidneys were barely
functioning. I guess all of the partying etc. that I did as a late teens,
early twenty-something year old caught up with me. I ended up also going on
dialysis for 2 years before I received a kidney transplant. If I had only
realized that I could have avoided all of it by taking better care of
myself. But at that time, I felt like I was indestructible and knew that
nothing like this would happen to me...right?? <lol>