[Nfbf-l] Iowa decision goes against dog users

Marion & Martin swampfox1833 at verizon.net
Mon Feb 23 13:27:48 UTC 2009

Jodi,
    There has been a great deal of discussion on this issue in which I have
participated on the NAGDU list. I believe it is not a matter of "we know
best"; however, it is a matter of developing sound fundamentals in the skill
of orientation & mobility. although all guide dog schools claim a person
must have good O&M skills before obtaining a guide dog, the practice is
quite different. It cannot be assumed that a person who uses a guide dog has
had such training. Likewise, it cannot be assumed that any person - even one
who uses a cane - has good mobility skills. Some on the NAGDU list have said
the centers show very little concern for the individual and I don't see it
this way. In order for a curriculum to be effective, there needs to be some
sort of structure and consistency. If there is not, there is no way to
determine if any individual graduating from the program received the same
training as another.
    While in undergraduate school I took particular classes to obtain my
degree. One of them was Research Methods and everyone was required to take
this course, as it gives fundamental knowledge to understand and interpret
other courses. There was a blind guy in my school who claimed that this
class should not be required of him because he is blind and, he argued,
blind people cannot grasp the concepts taught in statistics. I wrote an
article for the University newspaper stating, in part, that to grant his
exception would call into question every degree the school offered,
including mine, as no one would be able to be certain that anyone received
an adequate education.
    Every student who attends the Iowa commission for the Blind's center
receives O&M training, whether you have had it in the past or not and
whether you use a cane or a guide dog. Students know this when they go to
the center and, by doing so, consent to the program.
    Now, when I went to graduate school, the school required me to take
Research Methods....again! I could have argued that I already had Research
Methods in undergraduate school and, therefore, should not be required to
take it again. However, my argument would have been futile, since the school
would simply say, "This is a part of our program that you are required to
take!" Furthermore, the scope and complexity of the course was very
different than what I took in undergraduate school, so there was no
substitution.
    On the NAGDU list, one person argued my example by stating that schools
often offered electives, so why couldn't O&M be an elective? The
counterpoint is that the school also has prerequisites and mandatory classes
that provide the foundation for other classes. Research methods is one of
those prerequisite, mandatory classes that provide the foundation for other
classes, including electives. Orientation and mobility training, I believe,
is a prerequisite, mandatory course.

Fraternally,
Marion Gwizdala, President
National Association of Guide Dog Users