[Nfbf-l] If these regs pass how long before they do it to guide dogusers

David Evans drevans at bellsouth.net
Wed May 6 21:12:20 UTC 2009

Dear Marion,

I agree with you and predicted almost 20 years ago that there has to be a
sharpening of the line between service animals that are trained and those
that just provide "comfort or companionship."
I do understand the need and the good effects that these classes of animals
can provide to disabled people.
The difference is that one class is trained and the other is selected by
some haphazard process because it makes someone feel better or can detect
when someone is about to have a seizure.  These are not things that the
animal can be trained for, but just comes to some animals naturally and
rarely.
I think that they do need some protections to their use and the right of
someone to benefit from them.  I just think that the subject needs to be
discussed much more and standards set for these animals and their use,
anywhere, the same as there are standards that a guide dog must meet .  This
will protect the disabled population, the animals and the Public.
Too many people, in my own area try to pass their pets off as a service
animal and take them into cafes, public building, beaches, parks, stores and
on Public Transportation.
The animals should have at least basic obedience training and may need to
show something that shows they are a true service animal, the same way that
a guide dogs special harness shows that it is a guide dog.
Well behaved animals, that meet some standards, will prevent backlash issues
for all users of service animals.

David Evans, NFBF