[Nfbf-l] Job Discrimination

Bill Dennis billiam904 at yahoo.com
Fri Oct 23 19:37:04 UTC 2009

I haven't posted to this list in well over a year but lately, I've had
something that really bugs me and I'm just upset enough to spill my guts
about it.

I am a legally blind computer programmer who happens to also be an amputee.

I have worked all of my life except for a few years when I was on dialysis
before my kidney transplant.

I've been in the computer industry for almost 25 years.

The company I work for laid me off for 5 weeks and during that time, I
sought another job.

I've been disabled since 1995 but physically disabled since 2004.  In all of
this time, I've only had a few employers openly discriminate against me and
most of those were out of ignorance but apparently, it is now legal in
Florida for an employer to list "working conditions" in the job posting and
eliminate people from even applying for the job based on these so-called
working conditions.

One employer listed "must have eyesight" as a working condition.

Two other that I've seen in the past two weeks places a minimum lifting
weight of 25 pounds.  Excuse me but computer programmers do not lift
anything but our laptops when it is time to go home.  That is what I.T.
people or laborers are for.  The lifting clause eliminates me due to eye
hemmoraging and of course, the fact that I walk with a prostetic.  For a
total, it would eliminate them because while you can probably do the
lifting, how will you be guided to where the items you are lifting need to
be moved?  I'm sure they won't hire a sighted guide for you and you cannot
use a guide dog or a cane if both of your hands are full.

One other clause I've seen is "must have valid driver's license".  I used to
be able to arrange my own travel at my expense but I now no longer have that
option.

I've been told that all of these "requirements" are perfectly legal and that
there is no one to validate these conditions to make sure that these are
actual working condition but simply the employer's way to eliminate
"uneanted" candidates.

I would like to hear your thoughts on this.

Bill Dennis
Orlando