[Nfbf-l] Save The Date!

Marion & Martin swampfox1833 at verizon.net
Wed Sep 9 20:24:17 UTC 2009

Carolyn,
    With all due respect, I feel as if portraying this event as
"experiencing what visually impaired persons live with every day" not only
promulgates the
myth that blind people live in darkness, it may also give a false impression
to those who attend that the simple task of eating is challenging to a blind
person.
    According to Carol Castellano (Future Reflections, Winter/Spring 2006),
" If people are blindfolded but are not taught any of the skills that real
blind people use, they are likely to emerge from a simulation experience
feeling
that blindness is scary, sad, and difficult. {I am sure this is not what you
want them to think blindness is like!} Instead of fostering
acceptance, understanding, and respect, these exercises engender sadness,
fear, and pity. Instead of thinking of their blind peers as potential
friends
or colleagues, those who participate can end up feeling more distant from
their blind peers and feeling sorry for him or her."
    A number of articles have appeared in NFB publications about the
problems of blindness simulation exercises. To read more, go to
http://www.nfb.org
and enter the search term "blindness simulation". I think it is valuable for
all of us to learn from the perspective of others. HTH!
Fraternally yours,
Marion Gwizdala