[Nfbf-l] ACCESSIBLE ipod touch

Lappland lappland at bellsouth.net
Fri Sep 11 05:56:14 UTC 2009

if this really works, it is  awesome!  Go Apple!
>iPod touch includes a screen reader and other innovative accessibility
>> features that make it easier to use for those with impaired vision.
>> VoiceOver
>>
>> The same VoiceOver screen reader made popular on the Mac and the
>> iPhone is now a standard feature on iPod touch (3rd generation). It's
>> the world's first gesture-based screen reader, enabling you to enjoy
>> the fun and simplicity of iPod touch even if you can't see the screen.
>> What makes VoiceOver on iPod touch remarkable is that you control it
>> using simple gestures that let you physically interact with items on
>> the screen. It's easy to learn and fun to use. Instead of memorizing
>> hundreds of keyboard commands or endlessly pressing tiny arrow keys to
>> find what you're looking for, with VoiceOver you simply touch the
>> screen to hear a description of the item under your finger, then
>> gesture with a double-tap, drag, or flick.
>> VoiceOver delivers an experience unlike any screen reader you've used
>> before. Traditional screen readers describe individual elements on the
>> screen, but struggle to communicate where each element is located or
>> provide information about adjoining objects. This contextual
>> information is very important but typically filtered out by other
>> screen readers. For example, "off-screen" models used by traditional
>> screen readers to represent applications and web pages intentionally
>> strip away contextual information and describe web pages as a list or
>> menu of items. But with VoiceOver on iPod touch, you'll experience
>> something entirely new.
>> Because VoiceOver works with the touchscreen, you interact directly
>> with objects on the screen and can understand their location and
>> context. So, when you touch the upper-left corner of the screen,
>> you'll hear what's in the upper-left corner of a web page, and as you
>> drag your finger around the screen, you'll learn what's nearby,
>> providing an amazing new sense of context and relationships between
>> the items you hear. For many, VoiceOver on iPod touch will provide,
>> perhaps for the first time, a true sense of not only how things appear
>> on the screen, but also descriptions of what they are. You'll hear
>> descriptions of every item, including status information such as
>> battery level, Wi-Fi signal levels, and time of day. iPod touch even
>> lets you know when the display changes to landscape or portrait, and
>> when the screen is locked or unlocked.
>> The speaking rate is adjustable so you can set it to a speed that best
>> suits your listening ability. VoiceOver uses distinctive sound effects
>> to alert you when an application opens, when the screen is updated,
>> when a message dialog appears, and more. And when VoiceOver is
>> talking, the volume of background sounds and music is automatically
>> lowered, "ducking" under the voice, so you can clearly hear what
>> VoiceOver is telling you.
>>
>> It Speaks Your Language
> [...]

Please remember to support the Florida Outreach Center for the Blind by donating a dollar or more to help fund our worthy programs. Send your tax deductible
gift to:
Florida Outreach Center for the Blind
1280 N. Congress Ave., Ste-108
West Palm Beach, FL 33409
Or use the Pay Pal link on our web site at:
www.flblindcenter.org
Thank you!