[Nfbf-l] several questions!

TaraPrakash taraprakash at gmail.com
Tue Feb 23 21:47:05 UTC 2010

Hello Rachel.
You won't need permission from the board but I am not sure if DBS will do it
for you. Even though they have nothing to lose but they are not always
cooperative. No harm asking though.

Some of the below suggestions may be of some help too.
You can make a list of schools in your area and ask SDS offices to forward
your mails to students. I am not sure if anybody ever went through eye
related hospitals and practitioners. But they are the most likely people to
receive blind and legally blind individuals. A look at yellow pages or
calling goog411 directory can give you a list of eye practitioners in your
area.

You can also contact Jina Minichello about the initiatives/organizations
that are willing to work with NFB. Some of them were suggested during the
leadership workshop in Orlando. Public fund raisers not only bring money,
they can also bring members, sighted as well as blind.

You can think of raffeling out some hot new gadgets like IPad, the latest
Apple device. It will sell very well in the schools. Your chapter may not
have $600 or so to invest,  or if you alone don't want to take a chance on
this, you can collaborate with other chapters.

If you are aware of other organizations holding meetings in the area, you
might like to attend their meetings too. Sometimes members of some
organizations do like to connect with other organizations. And some members
are simply not happy at an organization but keep attending their meetings
for lack of an alternative.

Best

Tara