[Nfbf-l] chapter board position responsibilities

Dan Hicks danjhicks at yahoo.com
Wed Feb 24 02:49:36 UTC 2010

Hi Rachel,

You should still have a copy of your chapter's constitution. I assume it is
based on the NFBF Model Constitution, and here is what it has to say about
officers and board members and their duties:

ARTICLE IV:  OFFICERS AND THEIR DUTIES

            There shall be elected annually, a President, a Vice President,
a Secretary and a Treasurer.  The terms of these officers shall begin at the
close of the meeting at which they are elected and qualified.  Officers
shall be elected by a majority vote of the active members who are present
and voting.  There shall be no proxy voting.  If no nominee receives a
majority vote on the first ballot, the person receiving the fewest votes
shall be dropped from the list of nominees and a second ballot shall be
taken.  This procedure shall continue until one of the nominees has received
a majority vote from the active members present and voting.  The duties of
each officer shall be those ordinarily associated with that office.  The
president and vice president must be blind.

ARTICLE V:  BOARD OF DIRECTORS

            The Board of Directors of this organization shall consist of the
four (4) constitutional officers and three (3) additional members.  These
three (3) Board Members shall be elected at the same time and in the same
manner as that prescribed for the election of officers.  The Board of
Directors shall meet at the call of the president or on written call signed
by any three (3) of the Board Members.  The board shall advise the president
and shall have charge of the affairs of the organization between meetings.
At least four (4) members of the board must be present at any meeting to
constitute a quorum to transact business.  The board may be polled by
telephone or mail ballot on any question.  A majority of the Board of
Directors must be blind.

I doubt that the pertinent sections of your constitution are very different
from the above.

A few chapters have specific areas of responsibility assigned to each board
member, such as fund-raising board member, membership board member, etc. I,
personally, am opposed to these designations. I think it is better for the
president or board to appoint committee chairpersons to be in charge of
these areas; these chairs can be board members or non-board-member chapter
members. However, the specific responsibilities designations seem to work
for the chapter who have that in their constitutions, and I am sure that
however you have it in your constitution will work for you.

Every chapter is different and every chapter will respond to just the right
combination of creativity, energy, and just plain old hard work and
persistence, on the part of the officers and other board members.

I hope this helps, at least a little bit.

Dan

"Self-education is, I firmly believe, the only kind of education there is"

                                    -Isaac Asimov