[Nfbf-l] energizing and running the chapter smoothly

TaraPrakash taraprakash at gmail.com
Mon Jan 4 16:17:28 UTC 2010

Hello all and David. This is in response to a David's mail in which he asked
the following questions:

What is your chapter doing to keep the chapter energized, what is your
chapter working on, and out of all your members how many actually attend the
meetings?

 I hope the below mail will be useful to some other listers too. I will be
grateful if someone adds more strategies to make a chapter run smoothly. The
state does conduct regular telephone conferences to take care of some of
such concerns, so I would advise to remain tuned in for announcements about
them, and attend them.

The below information is about the Greater Orlando chapter. This chapter is
blessed by some very active members and leaders in the field of blindness.

We keep in touch with our elected and prospective representatives at the
county, City and state level and sometimes they join our meetings to answer
the concerns of the members. These concerns are not restricted to the issues
strictly about blindness, we recently called an expert to talk about
hurricane preparation. This encourages the members to remain in touch.

Those members who can't afford to join meetings due to financial problems,
are helped by our chapter pay for the transport and meal charges, if they
ask for it.
We meet on the second Saturday of each month between 12 and 2 p.m. to ensure
that people attend and have a good time and a good lunch.

Every meeting we have 2 lucky draws: 1 is called the lucky egg and the other
50-50. members have to give 50 cents for the lucky egg. All the members
whether they are present or not are included in the draw. If somebody absent
for the meeting wins, the money is kept for the next meeting. So it becomes
more profitable to win in the next meeting as the money accumulates.

For 50-50, in which the participation is optional, the members buy raffle
tickets for 50 cents each. You can buy more tickets to increase your chance
of winning. If a ticket with your number on it is drawn, you get to keep
half of the total money collected that day, the other half goes to the
chapter. Such activities help the chapter contribute to the activities
conducted at the local, state  and national level.

For generating more resources, we sometimes have raffle drawing for the
products that are attractive to both blind and sighted alike. You can think
of net books, IPhone, ITouch etc.

Our chapter also offers 2 scholarships to the deserving students. This year
on, we are planning to reserve some points for the active members. This
hopefully will draw more students' participation.

We believe that success of any  organization is 2 way process. The
relationship between the executive and members is not restricted to 1
monthly meeting only. Our president Dwight Sayer and other board members are
very approachable, friendly and caring. Members do not hesitate to approach
them with their concerns and they do not have to be organization related. If
they can't help you with something, they generally will have another
pperson's contact details who can help.

There are people who are disabled but do not strongly feel about the need
for constant struggle to make ourselves relevant and bring our issues to the
forefront. We keep in regular touch with organizations that working towards
social welfare in general. If the organizations work with Red Cross and YMCA
and contribute to their activities we can expect a very productive
reciprocation. You will be glad to know that our chapter has decided to help
a school for the blind in Jamaica and we are regularly sending useful
goodies to them. Such activities have brought us a lot of members who are
not blind or who have no other physical impairments.

Hope that helps a bit.

Tara