[Nfbf-l] MFCB Scholarship announcement

Holly hbeanie at gmail.com
Mon Jan 18 15:23:24 UTC 2010

*
Rachel,
**
This is the information that was on the website. The ELIGIBILITY
REQUIREMENTS are listed below. I think that if a scholarship is available,
then all eligible should apply. Money is money! Every college student needs
money.
2010 FCB SCHOLARSHIP INFORMATION*

The 2010 Florida Council of the Blind Scholarship Program consists of awards
totaling $6,750.00, which is offered to outstanding students who are
enrolled in academic education or professional or technical training beyond
the high school level. There is a $2,500 scholarship offered to an
outstanding college student; a $2,000.00 award for a high school student
exhibiting academic and leadership excellence; a $1,500.00 award available
to an eligible applicant who is enrolled in a course of study which will
increase advancement potential in his/her chosen field; and a $750.00
scholarship to be awarded to an eligible applicant who is enrolled part-time
in a college or university or a student enrolled in a technical institute.
All applicants must have, at least a 3.0 grade-point average.

The prestigious Gayle M. Krause-Edwards $2,500.00 scholarship requires a 3.2
grade point average and completion of one semester in a College or
University to be considered. This scholarship will be awarded to one student
exhibiting outstanding academic and leadership achievements.

*ELIGIBILITY REQUIREMENTS*

1. Applicant must be legally blind. That is, the applicant must have vision
in the better eye of no more than 20/200 with corrective lenses OR may have
vision greater than 20/200 in the better eye but with a restricted field of
vision of no more than 20 degrees

2. Applicant must be a resident of the State of Florida. However, the
college or university doesn't necessarily have to be in Florida.

3. Applicant must have a high school diploma or a high school equivalency
diploma. (High school students who are graduating this term may also apply)

4. Applicant must be enrolled in an accredited college or university or be
accepted for enrollment. A letter of acceptance is required

5. Applicant must be seeking a college degree or certificate

6. Applicant must have at least a 3.0 grade point average

7. Applicants who are full-time must carry at least 12 credit hours per
semester/quarter to be eligible for the $2,000.00 award. Those who are
part-time must carry a minimum of 6 credit hours per semester/quarter to be
eligible for the $750.00 award.

*SUPPORTING DOCUMENTS, WHICH MUST ACCOMPANY THIS APPLICATION, INCLUDE THE
FOLLOWING:*

1. A narrative statement regarding vocational objectives and outlook for
employment in your chosen field. Please include any awards or scholarships
you have received or that are pending. Part-time students must include an
explanation for part-time status (e.g., employed student, family
responsibilities, etc.)

2. Two letters of recommendation

3. Sealed official transcript from school currently or most recently
attended

4. Letter of acceptance from accredited college or university

5. Certification of Visual Status MUST be mailed by certifying entity.

Applications MUST be postmarked no later than March 15, 2010 and be
accompanied by all supporting documents except CERTIFICATION OF VISUAL
STATUS, which MUST be mailed separately.

Please forward application package to:
Florida Council of the Blind
c/o Barbara Grill
2030 Preymore Street
Osprey, FL 34229

The Education and Leadership Committee will review all applications and
select the four winners. Recipients of these awards will be notified prior
to the State Annual Convention and the winners will be announced during the
Award Ceremony, in May 2010. All scholarship winners will be invited to
attend the Annual Convention and given hotel accommodations for two nights
for two persons and two tickets to both the Award Ceremony and Banquet.

The Florida Council of the Blind will pay transportation costs by train or
bus. Prior approval for travel by plane is required. Mileage by automobile
to the convention will be reimbursed on the following basis: $0.445 per
mile.

For more information about our Scholarship Program you may contact Barbara
Grill at 941-966-7056 or via email at grillbh at comcast.net <grillbh at comcast.net>
.

Download the FCB Scholarship
Application<http://www.fcb.org/2010-fcb-scholarship-application.doc>

--
"God gives you 86,400 seconds in a day. Take one to say Thank You."
Walter A. Ward