[Nfbf-l] amazing equipment at ATIA

Lappland lappland at bellsouth.net
Sat Jan 30 15:16:51 UTC 2010

dear friends,
just a note to tell you about some of the amazing products that i seen at the ATIA conference  yesterday.

My favorite device was the solo reading machine displayed by John Palmer at Magnify America. in my opinion, it is the easiest to operate, just press the on-button and lay your paper on the light weight scanner. it automatically takes a picture of the printed document and begins reading in seconds. its the most accurate and pleasant sounding reader that I have had the pleasure of using. the reader can adjust the reading speed and choose from a female or male voice. the solo cost about $2,000 and is extremely light weight, simple to use, easy to disassemble and take with you. a great way for seniors and anyone else to read printed items.
John also had the new portable video magnifier, the Pebble, for around $550. it is small, light weight and enables you to read menus, price tags, store items, product directions, view photos in color and much, much more. the pebble also has a freeze frame so you can secure an image on the screen. for example, you may want to save the instructions on a cake box while you gather the necessary ingredients to make  it.
john will give you the best deals on products and assist you more than any other vender that I know of.

another amazing product was the new book sense from GW Micro. it cost $499 and has many more features than the victor stream. the book sense not only allows you to record and download books, it has a radio and gives you the date and time  among many other features. the device is also smaller and holds up to a 32 G SD card. it is definitely an item for your Christmas list.
for low vision folks, GW Micro had a terrific portable video magnifier, the duel sense view with a price tag of $950. it has 2 cameras, one for distance and one for close-up reading. bill has been asking venders for a device like this for years. the distance camera enables a person to read street signs and other print items in the distance like the price signs located high up in Costco. the second camera allows you to read price tags, grocery items and other close up print items. it also has color and a freeze frame.
I was impressed with the quality of these products and their functions.

Sincerely,
Carolyn Lapp
Executive Director
Florida Outreach Center for the Blind, Inc.
Office: (561) 640-6029
E-Mail: info_focb at bellsouth.net

Please remember to support the Florida Outreach Center for the Blind by donating a dollar or more to help fund our worthy programs. Send your tax deductible
gift to:
Florida Outreach Center for the Blind
1280 N. Congress Ave., Ste-108
West Palm Beach, FL 33409
Or use the Pay Pal link on our web site at:
www.flblindcenter.org
Thank you!