[Nfbf-l] The New 100 Dollar Bill

Patricia A. Lipovsky plipovsky at cfl.rr.com
Mon May 10 23:32:23 UTC 2010

FYI

from: Melanie Brunson, Executive Director

American Council of the Blind

Hi all,

There have been a couple of posts here and some calls in the office about
the new $100 bill being unveiled by Treasury this week. The question asked
is what about accessibility features. Here's what I know. First, the court
order requiring accessibility features applies to the designs that are
undertaken after the date of the court decision. The design of this new
$100 bill was already well under way when the court ruled in our case, and
is therefore not covered by the court's order. However, it does have some
interesting features. The numerals are rather large and may be easier for
folks with low vision to see. In addition, there are two new
anticounterfeiting features that have been incorporated into this bill that
people might be able to feel. There is a strip on the bills, which is
referred to as a security ribbon, created by incorporating ground up glass
into part of the paper. This is a technology that is in use on Swedish
currency. Also, on Ben Franklin's shoulder, they have added some enhanced
entaglio printing. Depending on how "enhanced" it is, that might change the
texture of the paper where it is located. Neither of these things were done
with accessibility in mind, but they could be sufficiently tactile to make
the bills identifiable, at least while they're new. We won't actually know
this until we can see one. Our attorney, Jeff Lovitky, told me this morning
that the actual bills won't be available until February, so we may have to
wait until then to find out more about these features. In the meantime, I
thought you might be interested in a bit more info.

Melanie Brunson

Melanie Brunson, Executive Director

American Council of the Blind

2200 Wilson Blvd. Suite 650

Arlington, VA 22201

(202) 467-5081

1-800-424-8666

Fax: (703) 465-5085

Mbrunson at acb.org

Mbrunson at acb.org

__._,_.___

Reply to sender |
Reply to group |
Start a New Topic

Messages in this topic
 (1)

Recent Activity:

Visit Your Group

MARKETPLACE

Get great advice about dogs and cats. Visit the Dog & Cat Answers Center.

Hobbies & Activities Zone: Find others who share your passions! Explore new interests.

Yahoo! Groups

Switch to:
Text-Only,
Daily Digest
 • Unsubscribe
 • Terms of Use

.

***"Whether you think you can, or you think you can't_ you're right."
Have a great day, and Keep Smiling