[Nfbf-l] Meet the Blind events

David Evans drevans at bellsouth.net
Thu Oct 14 02:38:06 UTC 2010

Dear Sabrina,
The Palm Beach County Chapter has a number of Blindness Awareness events
going on in October.
We obtained a proclamation , from our County Commission, proclaiming October
as Blindness Awareness Month and October 15 as White Cane Safety Day in Palm
Beach County.
We also got a proclamation, of the same thing from the City of Palm Springs
Florida that will be received by the Florida Outreach Center for the Blind,
run by our own Mrs. Carolyn Lapp in Palm Springs.
Carolyn and I were both on a National Public Radio program called "Florida
Forum" hosted by Denise Sears and was taped for later broadcast from WXEL-TV
and Radio.
We were part of a panel discussion on Blindness and RFB and D.
On October 12, the city of Riviera Beach had a full day of activities
including Proclamations, speakers on Blindness and a pick Nick in the park.
On Friday, October 29, our chapter will be staging its 5 TH. Annual White
Cane Safety Walk with a street crossing demonstration at the intersection of
Forest Hill Blvd. and Congress Ave. in the City of Palm Springs.
The event will be held from 10 AM to 1 PM and will include a Press
conference at Noon with the reading of proclamations and the White Cane Law.
We will be joined by the police departments of the cities of Palm Springs,
Lake Clark Shores, Green Achers and the Palm Beach County Sherriff's
Department.
We will be carrying signs and handing out copies of the White Cane Law to
drivers and passersby.  The rally point is 1733 South Congress Ave. in Palm
Springs at the Sunoco gas station on the corner.
We will have lunch afterward in the local shopping center.

At our chapter meeting on October 9, we had a police officer from the Palm
Springs Police at our meeting and we discussed how we might improve White
Cane Awareness.  It we decided that we will join with all of the other
Blindness organizations in our County such as NFB, FCB and the Blind Vets to
form a committee to work to get our local law makers to change things to
make street crossing safer.  We will also work with our local law
enforcement agencies to inform them and enlist their help in enforcing the
laws we need to keep us safe.
One of the best events will take place on Saturday, October 16, at the
Hilton Airport Hotel.  It will be the 4 TH. Annual "Dining in the Dark" fund
raising dinner to benefit the Florida Outreach Center for the Blind in Palm
Springs Florida.
Plates are $55 each and there will be a silent auction before the event.
The entire dinner is held in total darkness where dinners eat a three course
meal.  The wait staff will again be our own local Palm Beach County
Sherriff's SWAT Team who will be wearing night vision goggles.  There will
be a blind entertainer, key note speaker Florida Senator Jeff Atwater, Craig
Kiser and Marilyn Wimble.  We we be presenting the Doctor Thomas Hardig
Award to a deserving blind person who has been a stand out in our community.
There will be about 200 people at this year's event.
For more information, people can call Carolyn Lapp at the Florida Outreach
Center at (561) 642-0005 or David Evans at (561) 789-2488.

David Evans, NFBF and GD Jack.