[Nfbf-l] Wayne Davis Obit for Braille Monitor

Dan Hicks danjhicks at yahoo.com
Sat Sep 11 02:44:23 UTC 2010

Fellow NFBF Members,

Barbara Pierce wrote me to ask for a quick obituary for Wayne to run in the
October Braille Monitor, which was just about to go to press. I sent the
text included below. I hope you will all approve of my efforts to try to sum
up a lifetime in such a small space. I tried to do justice to Wayne's memory
in the short time that I had.

Dan

NFB Says Good-bye to Wayne Davis

Losing a longtime member of our NFBF family is always a shock. I knew that
Wayne Davis was very ill, but that thought does nothing to diminish the loss
to all of us who knew and worked with Wayne as a friend and colleague.

Born February 7, 1942, Wayne attended the Tennessee School for the Blind,
where one of his instructors was Dr. Kenneth Jernigan.

Music was one of Wayne's many talents. In his earlier years he worked with
Country singer Donna Fargo, the Rock group Boston, and with Elvis Presley,
among many others.

Wayne served as President of the National Federation of the Blind of Florida
for many years, through good times and not so good times. There were
occasions when Wayne and his streak of stubborn determination were the
strongest things keeping our affiliate together and moving forward.

Wayne also served proudly for a few terms as a member of the NFB National
Board.

Wayne passed away on August 31, 2010, after a long struggle with failing
health.

I hope Wayne knew how much he was appreciated and how much he and his
hardworking spirit and infectious laugh will be missed. He was my friend,
and a friend to many of us. Our thoughts, prayers, and warm wishes go out to
Carmen and David Davis. R.I.P. Billy Wayne Davis.

Dan Hicks, President