[Nfbf-l] nfb center in florida

Dan Hicks danjhicks at yahoo.com
Sun Apr 3 23:59:58 UTC 2011

All resolutions must have an NFBF member to take ownership of them and speak
in the resolutions committee meeting and on the convention floor in their
behalf. If Craig is an NFBF member, he will be allowed to advocate for the
resolution, with your permission, RJ. He will become the "author" of the
resolution.

I have kept out of this topic, thinking it might not amount to much. We
welcome the resolution as much as we would welcome others, but I do not
favor it, nor do I expect it to pass.

I don't think we need a new center and I don't think we can support it. The
state of California is bigger than Florida, and they have not been able to
keep one going. Centers need clients -- for which we would be in competition
with every other NFB center and every non-NFB center -- and they need
funding. We are simply not likely to get the funding in this economic
climate. Even if we could present a need, I just don't see it's happening
for years, if ever.

Now, what are our alternatives? Carolyn Lapp runs a center in South Florida,
and she says she uses NFB principles to operate it. She receives some
clients and funding from DBS, but not nearly as many clients or as much
money as she would like. I can't speak with any authority about the center
-- Carolyn should be on this list to comment for herself -- but I have heard
some good things. I have made some referrals to her organization, when I
have been asked for advice.

If we are so very unhappy with the center in Daytona Beach that we feel it
needs to be totally reworked or possibly replaced, then we need to be able
to give specific complaints to Joyce Hildreth and Ed Hudson when they come
to speak at the convention -- and when I say specific, I mean just that. We
are going to be required to fix what we have before we can have any hope of
getting something new -- and then maybe the something new will not be
needed. It's just that simple.

RJ, if you feel this strongly about it, you need to reconsider your decision
not to come to the convention this year.

Dan Hicks

“To dare is to lose one's footing momentarily.
Not to dare is to lose oneself.”
                 — Soren Kierkegaard

Behalf Of
> RJ Sandefur
> Sent: Sunday, April 03, 2011 4:29 PM
> To: NFB of Florida Internet Mailing List
> Subject: Re: [Nfbf-l] nfb center in florida
>
> I didn't know this. I designate Craig Kiser to present the resolution, as
> won't be able to make convention this year. RJ

Adjustment
> [...]
> provide sandwich and salad bars every evening making it necessary that
> students wanting a full hot meal use their developing mobility skills to
> leave campus and acquire their evening meal.  Students will be encouraged
> use this opportunity to practice bus or taxi travel, to function
> independently in a public restaurant, and to develop healthy relations by
> offering support to one another.  Additional maintenance will be provided
> cover such costs.  Staff will not provide shopping trips for students.
> Students will be provided information regarding public transportation and
> location of malls, stores, etc.
>

> 9.           Extracurricular programs will be established within fiscal
> constraints to stretch and challenge enrolled students at the Orientation
> and Adjustment Center.  Some of these programs may include camping,
skiing,
> or other spontaneous events that require students to practice their skills
> and build their self-confidence by performing tasks that they
traditionally
> believe a person cannot independently manage with non-visual techniques.
>

> 10.         All students will participate in regularly scheduled seminar"
or
> "philosophy" classes calculated to stimulate student reflection and
> understanding of the emotional and social issues/barriers faced by blind
> people living in the everyday world.  Such sessions, at a minimum, should
> occur once a week, but gradually the frequency of these classes should
> increase to at least two days per week.
>

> 11.         All students with residual sight will participate in formal
> classes and organized extracurricular activities under Vision occluders.
> Outside of the scheduled class day (8:00 AM-4:30 PM) and occasionally
> planned extracurricular activities, students may function without their
> Vision occluders.  This policy is designed to enable students of the
> Orientation and Adjustment Center to build confidence in performing daily
> activities using non-visual techniques.  It is not a policy calculated to
> minimize the value of ones residual vision where such sight can be
> efficiently used, but is instead used in training to create an optimal
> environment for practicing one's non-visual skill development.  Once it
has
> been determined that a particular student has thoroughly mastered use of
> non-visual techniques, students with useful residual vision may spend
their
> last several weeks in training without Vision occluders to practice
> low-vision techniques, e.g. use of Zoomtext, etc.  Every effort will be
made
> to minimize student apprehension, which may arise when vision occluder use
> is originally introduced.  Minor exceptions to this policy may be adopted
at
> the discretion of the Administrator of the Orientation and Adjustment
Center
> to accommodate students with unique circumstances.  The intention, though,
> is that the vision occluder policy will be enforced with relative
uniformity
> and consistency.  After an evaluation by the Administrator or his/her
> designee at the Orientation and Training Center, decisions will be reached
> as to the appropriate tool to use to achieve visual occlusion.  During the
> initial student evaluation, students may be assessed without Vision
> occluders, but if it is determined that their vision is sufficiently poor
> remain in the program for training, these students will be advised of, and
> subject to, this vision occlusion policy.  Following sufficient training,
> class instructors should teach under Vision occluders to demonstrate the
> efficacy of non-visual approaches where this will encourage their students
> to embrace this training practice.
>

> 12.         In light of the extended enrollment obligation, eligible
> students will be afforded longer access to the four existing student
> apartments for practicing their independent living skills (e.g. cooking,
> cleaning, and other home management techniques) before graduating.
>

> 13.         New staff employed to work at the Orientation and Adjustment
> Center will undergo training as a fully immersed student for a period of
at
> least three months before they commence their formal teaching
> responsibilities.  These new hires will take all courses and participate
in
> training activities under the same terms and conditions required of all
> students, e.g. vision occlusion and cane usage.  A procedure for an
> abbreviated training of this nature will also be developed for new hires
> throughout the agency that are not specifically assigned to work in the
> Orientation and Adjustment Center.  Provision will also be made, on an
> on-going and staggered basis, to expose existing agency staff to such
> blindness orientation training.  The Administrator of the Orientation and
> Adjustment Center will possess the discretion to amend or implement this
> policy to take account of any unanticipated operational exigencies."
>
> Now here are the changes which were made at the center.
>

> Introduction:
>
> The mission of the Rehabilitation Center  for the Blind and Visually
> Impaired is to empower individuals with varying degrees of vision loss to
> achieve independence. Below is a description of our referral process, our
> residential program, our Independent Living Skills program and our current
> vocational programs.  Included are contacts for the various categories.
We
> encourage you to call or email us with whatever questions you have.  We
> attempt to provide as individualized a program as possible for each of
your
> clients and welcome your involvement in the process.
>

> REFERRALS

> ----
>
> To refer a client to any of our Center's programs, e-mail your referral
memo
> to the attention of Mary Dixon.
>

> The referral is to include student's name, program being referred, any
past
> rehab training, any medical problems we should be aware of, and any
> psychological history or current treatment.
>

> For all programs, the following is needed:
>

> 1.  Referral memo
>
> 2.  The following reports on AWARE:  Client Application, Education
History,
> [...]
> that they may have to take a taxi to/from Greyhound and other destinations
> while they are here .
>
> Common Carrier Transportation Code  071060 is what we use.
>

> MEDICAL
>
> The medical code is needed for all students regardless of the program or
the
> expected duration of their stay.  We use their insurance whenever
possible,
> but unexpected situations can arise suddenly in a residential program and
we
> have to be prepared.
>
> We recommend Medical Incidental 98999 to cover any medical issue without a
> cost attached.
>

> MAINTENANCE
>
> All students who are here for more than an assessment are given
> $100.00/month.  We ask the students to use this money to interact and
> recreate in the community.  The referring VR counselor provides the first
> maintenance check and the Rehab Center provides the rest.
>

> Training Maintenance Code 061000 is needed to cover all maintenance.
>

> The following codes are often included, or can be added to the plan as
> needed.  When you amend a plan for a client attending the center, we
review
> the amendments with your client, print off the last page of the plan from
> AWARE, have the client sign the new plan and mail you the hard copy.
>

> LOW VISION
>
> Low vision screening and evaluation are again being offered while your
> client is here.  The Center will pay for the evaluation, but the codes
must
> be included in the plan.  An advantage of having this screening done here
is
> that the staff can work with your clients in learning to use their low
> vision aides in a variety of settings.  The first two codes that are
> necessary to have the evaluation are:
>

> Initial Exam   192370     $170.00
>

> Refraction     92015        $50.00
>

> If your student needs low vision aides, we will contact you with the
> recommendations.  If you approve the recommendations, you can amend the
plan
> accordingly to include:
>

> Low vision Aids under $600.00   039920
>

> Low vision Aids over $600.00    039925
>

> VOCATIONAL ASSESSMENT
>

> For clients to receive a vocational assessment at the center, codes are
not
> needed.  We do the assessment as part of the program.  However, we
> anticipate vocational assessments will primarily be done in the home area.
> There may be times when it is better to do the assessments here such as if
> transportation in the home area is difficult.  Also, if you have a client
> who needs a more comprehensive assessment, including observation of the
> client in a wider variety of settings, you may want us to provide the
> assessment.
>

> This is not all inclusive.  These are the more frequently used codes.
Other
> situations and evaluations which call for additional codes can be worked
out
> with the client, the VR counselor and our case managers.
>

> When we receive your referral memo, we will send your client an inform
> packet which will contain a copy of the Center's Student Handbook, Medical
> Insurance Questionnaire Form and a stamped, self-addressed envelope for
the
> client to return the signed Handbook signature form and completed Medical
> Questionnaire.  We  also enclose the Center's Physician's Statement of
> Client's Health Form which the personal physician is requested to complete
> with medical information no more than one year old and fax to the number
> conveniently noted at the bottom of the form.  Once the medical report is
> received, we will then send the entire file over to our medical staff for
> review.
>
> It should be emphasized that no referral is added to the waiting list
UNTIL
> the medical form is completed and sent to us.  Referrals are generally put
> on the list in the order the medical is received, regardless of how long
it
> has been since you have referred the client.
>

> For specific questions, please contact Mary Dixon directly: 386.254.3838
>

> CASE MANAGEMENT
>

> Students are assigned to case managers based on the program.  One case
> manager has responsibility for the Independent Living Skills (ILS)
program,
> the other for the Vocational programs
>

> The primary role of the case manager is to coordinate all aspects of the
> student's training, as well as to maintain involvement with the referring
> counselor.
>

> Clients are assigned a center case manager before they start the program.
> The case manager calls the student at home shortly after they are invited.
> The case manager talks with the student, gaining information about their
> background and center expectations.  The information gathered is
distributed
> to staff who will be working with the student.
>
> On the first Monday the student is here, the case manager meets with him
or
> her to orient the student to what will happen during the first two weeks
and
> to complete a thorough social history.
>

> The case manager works with the student throughout their training program
> plan, link and monitor the delivery of services, to conduct and facilitate
> staff meetings with the student and referring counselor and to help direct
> the focus of the training so that everyone is working together to help the
> student reach his or her goals.
>

> For specific information, please contact Renea Keough 386.254.3843
>

> RESIDENTIAL FACILITY:
>
> The Residential Training Facility at the Rehabilitation Center for the
Blind
> [...]
with
> the candidate, Center case manager, instructors and Home Counselor, to
> review and discuss needs and plans.  This information is then provided to
> the Bureau of Business Enterprise which will make the final determination
on
> the candidate's request to enter the training program.
>

> If significant needs are indicated, the student may enroll in a program of
> remedial instruction, either at the Center or in his/her home area.
>

> BBE class:
>

> Generally, no more than five students are accepted and scheduled into each
> session of BBE training classes.  The course consists of six modules
> (Vending Machines; Food Safety and Sanitation; Food Service and Cafeteria;
> Record Keeping and Business Forms; Business Start Up; and Business
> Management), Excel and Computer Instruction, and Business Math. At the end
> of each of the six modules, the student's knowledge and understanding is
> tested. (Note: the student has two tries to achieve a passing score, but
if
> he/she fails to obtain at least a 75, he/she is out of the program.)  Once
> the client successfully completes the BBE coursework, he/she participates
in
> an on-the-job training to obtain advanced skills, prior to receiving a
food
> service license and applying for a food service facility.
>

> For more details, please contact Harry McEwen, MA, CVE, CRC at
386.254.3853

> CONTRACT MANAGEMENT (CM)
>

> Lighthouse Central Florida (LHCF) has received funding to establish a
> program to assess and provide basic training for candidates who wish to
> become Contract Managers.  Counselors who have clients who wish to enroll
in
> this program, should contact Light House Central Florida (LHCF) with
> inquiries and referrals.  If LHCF wishes, The Rehabilitation Center may
> provide an approximate two-week assessment and evaluation for candidates
for
> that project.   Areas of assessment include vocational interest, aptitude
> and psychological testing, in addition to the Center's usual Adaptive
> Technology (computer skills), Orientation and Mobility, Communications and
> Independent Living (Personal and Home Management) Skills.  At the end of
the
> two-week evaluation, an evaluation staffing is held to review the
student's
> performance in the necessary areas. Attending the staffing (in addition to
> the client) are Center staff, the client's home counselor and
> representatives from LHCF. The student may be accepted to advance to the
> next phase of the training at LHCF or be enrolled for additional training
at
> the Center to obtain necessary basic skills.  When the student and
Center's

http://www.nfbnet.org/mailman/options/nfbf-l_nfbnet.org/glorianfb%40irescue-