[Nfbf-l] State School

Mark Tardif markspark at bellsouth.net
Mon Apr 4 00:24:46 UTC 2011

I'm not sure we can stereotype people who attended schools for the blind and
type cast them like that.  I attended a school for the blind and I lived
with a friend who was mainstreamed.  Guess what, I think she was much less
likely to want to join the real world, at times I got the sense she wanted
to live in a "blind ghetto."  Public schooling can be brutal on a lot of
kids, and if you are at all different, forget it.  I also had a boss once
who was also blind and we worked together in the early eighties.  He thought
that mainstreaming sounded good on paper, but he had had a chance to observe
and talk to some of these people who were mainstreamed, and was
disappointed.  He said they came across as cynical. apathetic, etc.  So,
just one man's opinion, it appears to be different for different children.
Also, I would say that the NFB influence, as shown by centers like Louisiana
and Colorado, seems to try to emphasize that we cannot expect the world to
provide us extra privileges that we need to adapt to it.  So I don't know
what happened at Daytona, and anyone may enlighten me, but I doubt it was
the influence of the NFB that caused it to go downhill.

Mark Tardif
Welcome to my planet