[Nfbf-l] State School

Sherri flmom2006 at gmail.com
Wed Apr 6 14:10:24 UTC 2011

I feel I had an excellent education at the Utah School For the Blind. I
attended until I was in 10th grade. I consider myself quite well-educated
and socially mature and able to compete with any other sighted people. I had
the advantage of being able to stay home and travel back and forth each day
to school, which allowed me to grow up in my neighborhood. I also had the
advantage of learning excellent blindness skills, particularly Braille,
math, etc., which gave me a nearly 4.0 grade point average upon attending
public high school. I see so many mainstreamed people today who were totally
isolated in their public school experience, made no friends, did not develop
good blindness skills, don't read braille well or at all. I do not at all
consider myself socially immature or incapable because I went to a school
for the blind.