[Nfbf-l] light house of the palm beachs

David Evans drevans at bellsouth.net
Thu Apr 7 18:22:50 UTC 2011

Dear R.J.,

No, these scholarships are for people who have never been to a National
Convention before and would like to experience what it is like.
DBS has sent people, not just students, but adults too, to both State and or
national Conventions before.
The experience can be a life changing one for many people.
It is like getting your battery recharged.  The feeling is great and the
exposure to the event, the people and the philosophy can make for some
profound changes in people.
After I attended my first national NFB event, which was a Washington
Seminar.  I came back to Florida like a man with his hair on fire.
I got more involved and wanted to reach out and give some of that new energy
I had found to other Blind people.
I did.  My chapter became the largest in the state and spun off two other
chapters.
Our meetings were so popular that we had people coming from Miami-Dad and
Broward Counties to attend our monthly meetings.
We helped send as many as 21 people to go to National Conventions and
provided help in attending state convention and the Washington Seminars too.
We would raise about $10,000 each year and provided several successful fund
raisers, that were both used by the Florida State Affiliate and the local
chapters to make money for them.
It was this exposure to the NFB organizations and the people in it that
helped to change my attitude and my expectations of what a Blind person
could do and be.
That is what I want for you and for all Blind people.  I want you to be the
best you can be and by being that terrific Blind person, show others and
change minds in the process.
We can fix the world, one person at a time.
Call your DBS counselor and ask them to help you go to the National
Convention in Orlando.
Find a roommate to share a room with.  Do whatever it takes, but get there
and you will never regret it.
The Jernigan Scholarships are not just for students, but adults too.  There
are for people who have never attended a National Convention before.  You
can apply for one.
Hurry as the deadline is April 14.
Go to the NFB web site and look for the paperwork.

David Evans, NFBF and GD Jack.