[Nfbf-l] NFBF Jacksonville Chapter Blind Community Picnic

Lenora J. Marten bluegolfshoes at aol.com
Mon Apr 18 16:47:33 UTC 2011

Hello Everyone,

Well folks, we've had yet another Jacksonville "First Down" Blind Community Picnic! Many, many
kudos go out to our chapter members for pulling off such a huge event. Our behind the scenes
planning starts months in advance; ordering tables, chairs, sno-cone machine, budgeting and most
of all getting that park booked. Thursday night we cleared burger and potato salad shelves at Sam's
Club, then went on to clear the bun shelves at Publix. We sliced, diced and chopped; put on our NFB
shirts, smiles, best attitudes and showed up at Cuba Hunter Park bright and early Saturday morning.

Tables and chairs were set up for our guests as well as tables for our serving line. Drinks, water and
ice placed in coolers to quench everyone's thirst. For a time the pavilion looked like a truck dropped
off food at a restaurant. While some chapter members set up the serving line, others set up the
community center room for Bingo and Triva. Still others readied the registration area to greet
our guests.

Gilla and Christiana greeted 95 guests at the registration table with smiles and VIP arm bands. They
patiently answered questions and sent people in the right direction. While Patricia, Eric and Daphne
called out Bingo games, the tantalizing smell of Mark and Chris's famous BBQ hamburgers and hot dogs
permeated the park. At the same time, Andy, David, Kevin, Tracie and myself opened and readied beans,
potato salad, lettuce, tomato, onion, pickles, relish, chips, condiments, buns, plates, napkins, hand
sanitizer and gloves for our servers.

Gina, Larry and Marita seemed to be everywhere, helping out whenever needed. Seemed like every
time I turned around looking for help, one of them was there. Joe, of course, as our leader did
what he does best; kept us focused and on task while making sure that he personally greeted
each and every one of our guests.

Special thanks go out to Dave Hegwood for serenading us with his wonderful singing voice
and guitar throughout the day. Way to go Dave!

As soon as all the Bingo prizes were given out, our guests headed over to the pavilion for food,
more fellowship and fun. New friends and old friends alike chatted, mingled and ate their fill.
Children played in the grass. What an awesome day! With yet... still more to come...

As guests headed back over to the community center for Trivia, they stopped at our sno-cone
machine where Michael, Marita and Anna served up sno-cones of many flavors. Brandon Tomasello
once again challenged our teams with trivia questions for all age groups and backgrounds.
What fun!!

It was wonderful to see friends re-connect with each other as our picnic has truly become a
"family reunion" of the Jacksonville Blind Community. It gives us a chance, every year, to show
what we're truly about. Without politics. Without fundraising. Without agenda. So, why do it?
Why go to that much trouble? The answer is simple. It makes us feel good to perform an act
of kindness above and beyond the normal act of kindness. When people perform acts of
kindness, they remember why they do what they do. We're reminded why we got involved with
NFB and how much we've helped each other. We want the rest of the blind community to feel,
as Peter so eloquently put it, the Jacksonville NFB love!

Lenora J. Marten, President

Florida Organization of Parents of Blind Children
NFB-Jacksonville Chapter Secretary
Chairperson, FSDB/PAC
bluegolfshoes at aol.com
904-777-5976 / 904-229-9554