[Nfbf-l] convention announcement from nfb Florida website

Sherri flmom2006 at gmail.com
Mon Apr 25 12:16:33 UTC 2011

Good morning all,

Some of you may get this twice and for that, I apologize, but I have two separate lists and one might be more up-to-date than the other.

Time is drawing short for registering for our up-coming National Federation of the Blind of Florida convention. Our Pinellas chapter and our State Board along with others are working hard to make this the best convention ever. Below, I am pasting the convention announcement as taken from the NFBF website, but let me mention a couple of things first. We want to insure that all who would like to go have transportation to the convention. Therefore, we plan on chartering at least two buses for this purpose, one to come from South Florida starting in Miami and the other to come from the Jacksonville area going through Orlando, through Polk County and on into St. Pete. Gloria, our state treasurer is working hard to arrange this transportation along with Holly Idler who is working on the Central Florida bus. There will b a nominal cost involved the amount of which will depend upon how many people are riding your bus. I am particularly targeting those in the South Florida area. Remember you are getting a ride to the hotel and back to your point of origin, as the bus will be stopping in several places to pick up passengers. Please e-mail me at flmom2006 at gmail.com and I will make sure the message gets to Gloria and Holly or just reply to this e-mail and it will go to the NFBF list. Whether or not we have a bus depends on how many people are interested in transportation so spread the word to those in your chapter who do not have computers.
Secondly, we have blocked off rooms at our special convention rate and need to get reservations in. The reservation number is below in the convention message. There is a link to the registration form which can be filled out and e-mailed to Gloria. Once you e-mail your registration form, please don't forget to send in your check to register for the convention. Registration in advance makes sure you are eligible for door prizes and believe me, we are getting together some great ones!

I hope to see all of you at our up-coming state convention. Let's make this one of the best ever. Thank you and please see below.

Sherri Brun

The 2011 State Convention of the National Federation of the Blind of Florida (NFBF) is fast approaching. We hope you will make your plans early to be present for a fabulous fun-filled and educational gathering in St. Petersburg, Florida.

The convention will be held over the Memorial Day Weekend:

Friday through Monday, May 27 - 30, 2011

at the Hilton St. Petersburg Bayfront

333 First Street South

St. Petersburg, FL 33701

We are excited about the various activities we have on the agenda for convention attendees. You will have the opportunity to participate in general sessions as well as an array of timely seminars ranging from division meetings to electronics, new products for the blind, and even a fast-moving auction. In addition, numerous adaptive equipment items will be on display in our Exhibition Hall, and our annual banquet is always an event that everyone looks forward to attending.

Once again, we plan to host a popular Talking Book reader (narrater) as a guest speaker.

Convention activities start Friday evening, with an open meeting of the NFBF Board of Directors, the NFBF Resolutions Committee, and other not-to-be-missed surprises.

This year, General Sessions begin on Saturday morning, May 28, and will feature addresses from respected governmental officials and representatives from agencies such as Social Security and the Division of Blind Services, along with a variety of other dynamic speakers. General Sessions continue on Sunday and Monday mornings.

Saturday and Sunday afternoons will feature seminars on many informative topics, such as transportation, legislation, technology, guide dogs, merchants, senior concerns, and other timely topics relating to blindness.

There will also be an array of seminars for parents of blind and visually impaired children on Saturday and Sunday afternoons, and kids will be treated to their own convention and teen activities during this time. The Exhibition Hall will open Friday evening and Saturday and Sunday afternoons. A Wine & Cheese Hospitality Reception and Auction will take place Saturday evening.

Childcare will be provided with signup at pre-registration for the Convention and will require an additional registration. For details, go to this website:  www.nfbflorida.org/childcare2011.htm or call 1-800-603-8578.

On Sunday evening, we invite you to join us for our annual NFBF Banquet. A representative of the National Federation of the Blind?s Board of Directors will provide a banquet address you will not want to miss. Immediately following, the 2011 Student Scholarship winners will be presented.

On Monday, May 30, our business session will take place. At this time elections will be held and resolutions voted upon, and other Federation business will be conducted.  The convention will conclude at 11:00 AM.

It pays to pre-register! Prior to convention the registration fee is $10.00 and the banquet tickets are $30.00 each. The registration and the banquet fee will each increase by $5.00 on May 10. So it is important that we receive your payment by  May 10 in order to qualify for the special registration and banquet package discount.

The Hilton St. Petersburg Bayfront is located in the Waterfront District of Downtown St. Petersburg. It is surrounded by many restaurants and fun things to do. There is a Publix Supermarket across the street from the hotel. Our hotel is near Tropica Field, home of the Tampa Bay Rays!

To make your room reservations, please call the Hilton St. Petersburg Bayfront at 727-894-5000 or 1-800-445-8667. When calling, ask for the National Federation of the Blind of Florida?s room rate of $80.00, plus tax, per night (Convention Code NFB). Rooms are reserved on a first-come first-served basis. Your room reservation must be made by May 2 to guarantee our special hotel rate.           Call early, while rooms are still available!

Download, print, and complete the form below and send it in with your payment to register for the convention and banquet. Feel free download as many copies as you need or to make copies. Send  the completed form along with your payment to the address on the form.  If you have questions, please feel free to send email inquiries to me at president at nfbflorida.org or call NFBF Secretary Sherri Brun at 1-800-603-8578. For inquiries regarding convention registration and banquet payments, contact NFBF Treasurer Gloria Mills Hicks by sending email to her at: treasurer at nfbflorida.org or calling 1-866-342-5080.

We hope to see you in St. Petersburg in May for the best NFBF Convention ever!

Sincerely,

Dan Hicks, President

Click here to download the NFBF 2011 Conventin registration form in Word (DOC) format.

Click here to Download the NFBF 2011 Convention registration form in Adobe Acrobat (PDF) Format

If you would like to see this signature disappear then
Please help blind people in your local area achieve their dreams by visiting
http://www.raceforindependence.org/goto/Sherri.Brun
Thank you.

Character is the side of yourself you choose to show the world. Integrity is what you do, what you say and how you act when you think no one is paying attention.
Sherri Brun
flmom2006 at gmail.com