[Nfbf-l] Legislative committee meeting 8/21

Denise Valkema valkemadenise at aol.com
Sun Aug 14 18:13:04 UTC 2011

Good idea

Sent from Denise's Palm Pre On Aug 14, 2011 2:08 PM, David Evans <drevans at bellsouth.net> wrote:

Dear Denise,

I have another item for discussion for the legislative Committee meeting.

It has to do with getting the Congress to approve durable medical devices

for the Blind under Medicair.

  Medicair will purchase a wheelchair or scooter for someone who can not

walk, and walkers too, but will purchase nothing to assist those who can not

see.

Why can they not purchase, or at least help purchase such devices as CCTV's,

talking blood glucose meters, blood pressure cups or hand held magnifiers or

software for your computer the can help a person read?

The federal government already recognizes Blindness as a more severe

disability than just the inability to walk.  Most disabilities effect one or

more of Life's daily activities, but Blindness effects all of life's

activities,I.E. walking, writing, reading, cooking cleaning, personal record

keeping, dealing with financial matters and transporting oneself.

  Why do they spend so little on us, a Medicair benefit of $150.00 max, but

will spend up to $ 30,000 for a motorized wheelchair?

Why can they not have a program that helps you purchase such devices, even

if they will not cover the entire cost?

As 74.3% of all Blind People are over the age of 65 and the number of Blind

seniors is growing faster than any other group, It would make sense to help

these seniors stay as independent as possible and keep them out of the

costly nursing homes.  The government would save money and the people would

be much happier.

The government could mandate that the seniors go through a good rehab

program as part of the benefit.

The old adage that says you can not teach an old dog new tricks is only true

if the old dog don't want to learn.    It is allot easier if there are are

other old dogs learning and doing the new tricks  too.

Seniors listen to and learn from other seniors quicker and easier than they

do from younger people.

One knowledgeable senior, in a adult community, is worth 4 younger rehab

instructors in a rehab facility.

This is just my thoughts on the matter and something we should discuss and

pass on.

David Evans, NFBF and GD Jack.