[Nfbf-l] Legislative committee meeting 8/21

David Evans drevans at bellsouth.net
Tue Aug 16 14:38:02 UTC 2011

Dear Kirk,

I agree with Gloria that this may not be the best time to bring this item up
with Congress as they can not get their act together and have lost sight of
what is the best for the People and the Country and are too hung up on their
own politica agendas.
I am just asking where is the equality in treatment.  I was not saying that
Medicare should be buying wheelchairs for the Blind.  I was pointing out
that Medicare will spend up to $30,000 for a motorized wheelchair for
someone who can not walk, but only $150 on a person that is Blind.
I know that all of the accessible technology I own, doesn't add up to that
much, $30,000 that is,  and I bought most of it myself.  It would have sure
helped if there had been a program that would have helped me get it and not
wipe out my bank account.
I think that we may need to put this one on the back burner, but we should
not forget it is there and needs our attention at some point.
Besides, this is a federal issue and not a Florida only issue.  We need to
do something about the funding of Newsline, the White Cane Laws awareness
and Web site accessibility and compliance with section 508 standards for the
Florida State agencies, just for examples.

I will write up my thoughts and send them to everyone before the conference
call.

David Evans, NFBF and GD Jack.