[Nfbf-l] Fwd: Message from Speaker Cannon

REPCODDS at aol.com REPCODDS at aol.com
Thu Feb 3 20:33:02 UTC 2011

From:  Cannon, Dean
Sent:  Thursday, February 03, 2011 2:23 PM
To: !HSE All House Members &  LAs
Cc: !HSE All District  Secretaries; !HSE All Local Users
Subject: Select Committee on Government  Reorganization

TO:                          Members of the Florida House of
Representatives
FROM:                   Dean Cannon, Speaker
DATE:                     February 3, 2011
RE:                           Select Committee on Government
Reorganization
The 2011 Legislative Session is an opportunity for  transformational
change.  We should thoughtfully and systematically  pursue true reform and avoid
the temptation to make changes simply for the  sake of change.
Some policy conversations reach beyond the scope of  an individual Member
bill and do not fit neatly inside our predefined  committee structure.  For
that reason, pursuant to Rule 7.6, I am  hereby creating the Select Committee
on Government Reorganization.
Privatization, performance standards, running  government like a business,
and information technology are appealing ideas  but not panaceas.  Reform
cannot consist of simply combining,  recombining, dividing, or redividing
government agencies.  Our goal instead is to engage  in the work of identifying
the specific and necessary work of government in  order to eliminate the
extraneous tasks that have been added over the  years.  Florida government
should be focused on  core goals and structured to achieve those goals.
To convey the importance of this select committee’s  mission, I have asked
Speaker pro tempore John Legg to serve as the chairman  and Rules & Calendar
Chairman Gary Aubuchon to serve as the vice  chairman.   Speaker pro
tempore Legg and Chairman Aubuchon are  both well known for their work ethic,
seriousness of purpose, and skill in  handling complex public policy.
The Select Committee on Government Reorganization’s  initial charge will be
twofold:  first, to look at government programs  that purport to promote or
regulate private sector economic activity; and  second, to look at
government programs involved with health and human  service delivery systems.  As
time permits, the select committee may  also pursue government reorganization
initiatives in other areas.  The  select committee is also encouraged to
look beyond statutory changes and  consider possible ballot initiatives.  More
than a decade after the  last Cabinet reorganization, now is an opportune
time to examine whether the  centralization of authority associated with those
constitutional changes has  produced the expected or desired outcomes.
Members interested in serving on this select  committee should express
their interest to the Speaker’s Office by the end  of business on Monday,
February 7, 2011.  Please be advised that  service on this select committee will
likely require a significant  investment of time.  I have indicated to the
Speaker pro tempore that I  expect the select committee’s work to be
analytical, practical, exhaustive,  inclusive, and conducted in public.  In addition,
Members and  stakeholders should be advised that it is my intention to
refer the product  of this select committee to the Appropriations Committee and
then to the  Floor.
I  have assigned Teresa Tinker, staff director for the Economic Affairs
Committee, and Carol Gormley, staff director for the Health and Human
Services Committee, to serve as the lead staff for the select  committee.  I will
allocate additional staff resources as  necessary.