[Nfbf-l] An High Speed Transit, an opposing point of view!

Kirk kvharmon54 at gmail.com
Fri Feb 18 22:14:04 UTC 2011

Just passing this along for all concerned! KH

      Dear CNUers,

      Who I represent: I am an advocate of TOD, energy conservation, and
transportation choices.  I have an international background and futuristic
point-of-view most architecture graduates also have.

      My experience: I started doing research on TODs since 2002 when
studying my Master's degree of Urban Planning, Master's degree of
Transportation Engineering, and Graduate Certificate of GIS at University of
Florida.  In year 2005, I finished my thesis and my feasibility study of
TODs using case study in Atlanta, GA.

      The points I support Governor Rick Scott:
      1. Right Attitude of doing a responsible feasibility study of such
projects which use both federal funding and local tax base for a period from
building the projects to operating and maintaining such projects. If every
sates use their money not so carefully, an unavoidable inflation rate of US
dollar is on the verge.
      2. Right Method of a feasibility study from a business perspective.
Internal Revenue Return(IRR) is key to the foreseeable success or failure of
a project for business people, developers and investors. Everything has to
be nailed down on contracts for business.  Planners' feasibility analysis
are usually done by looking at the costs and funding sources.  However,
financing a project with different interest parties are different stories.
      3. Right Time of raising the issue when 2012 budget is on the table.
Such government projects require different administrative departments'
cooperation. Public safety issues along the rail and train stations only
need more law enforcement staff at state and local agencies.
      4. Right vision of the projects.  Disney and theme parks are magnets
in Orlando.  Homes for retirees and families on the gulf coast are
attractive for both locals and future migrants from other states after
baby-boomers reach 65 years of age.  This project between Tampa and Orlando
may not encourage mixed land-use TOD wants.  Such interaction between rail
connection and land-use would actually encourage more urban sprawl by
further pulling residential and commercial/retail/entertainment land-use
apart to the 2 ends.  In another word, this project would exaggerate the
trend of turing Tampa bay/Clearwater to be a bedroom community adjacent to
an emerging entertaining "downtown" of Tampa -- southwest Orange County and
Kissimmee.

      My suggestions:
      1. Feasibility study of such projects is more interesting or more
complicated than most development, because the revenue of such projects
should also include the increase of property values brought from the
connection to the rail.  The revenue is not only calculated by ridership
only.
      2. Increase of property values brought from the connection to the rail
could be calculated at both census-tract level and property-parcel level.
When I was doing case study at Atlanta, GA, different results could be
reached from 2 different data sets after I put data into GIS model.  So how
much money or benefits this project could bring requires more considerations
on what kind data the model is going to use.
      3. Prediction models between land-use mix index and ridership/
property value are usually done by regression analysis.  Linear and
Un-linear regression models would bring quite different indicators and model
functions.
      4. A better vision is a rail project between Miami /Fort Lauderdale
Metropolitan area and Central Florida.  This is a much better model that
would encourage better land-use mix, energy conservation for a round-trip of
10 hours or more on highway, and ridership on the rail.

      Sincerely,
      Shao-Ming Zhang
      M.S. in Transportation Engineering 2008
      M.A.U.R.P. 2005