[Nfbf-l] Advocating for TD program!

Kirk kvharmon54 at gmail.com
Wed Feb 23 23:54:38 UTC 2011

Hi friends, I am forwarding this from a good friend of mine whom i was
fortunate enough to have met many years ago with transportation advocacy
work! I thought it would be something of interest for us all! Your friend in
the cause,        Kirk Harmon

TD Friends:

I felt a personal obligation to do my part to educate the Governor and
Legislature about pending legislative actions that would negatively impact a
great program.  I hope each of you at the CTC, county government, MPO, RPC,
LCB and user levels will do your part to educate your local legislative
delegations as well as Governor Scott about what the TD program has meant to
you and your communities.  Without this education, these proposals we are
aware of and possible other ones may be adopted that would negatively impact
the program.   It is critical that you do this education as soon as possible
since the legislative session starts in early March.  Please help the
Commission and others get the message acoss to protect this cost effective
program but more importantly continue mobility for millions of Floridians
who depend on these services.

Here is the letter I am sending.  I hope to see you at the TD Legislative
Day and will continue to do my part for a program that is very special to
me.  Thank you for helping!

Dear Governor Scott and Members of the Florida Legislature

I am writing about the successful Transportation Disadvantaged Program that
the Florida Legislature created in 1979 and later funded through the
creation of the Transportation Disadvantaged Trust Fund in 1989.

As the former Executive Director of the Commission for the Transportation
Disadvantaged (Commission), I was privileged to work on behalf of the State's
most vulnerable citizens for nearly 25 of the 36 years before I retired from
public service.  Because of this successful statewide coordinated
transportation program, our elderly, persons with disabilities, low income
and children at risk have been able to access medical care, employment,
kidney dialysis, nutrition and other life-sustaining trips to maintain and
improve their quality of life (over 50 million trips a year are provided).

In addition to improving their quality of life, it should be noted that by
providing this type of coordinated transportation millions of dollars are
being saved.  The Commission conducted an independent "Return on Investment
Study by Florida State University" that projects over $8 is returned for
every dollar expended on transportation.  In addition to these cost savings,
the Agency for Health Care Administration (AHCA) that oversees the Medicaid
Non-emergency Transportation Program, conducted a study by the University of
Florida that showed over $40 million dollars in cost savings due to the
coordinated transportation program.  Since this study, AHCA has contracted
with the CTD to manage its non-emergency transportation services which has
allowed reductions in duplication of services, elimination of fraud and
abuse, cost savings and improved access to health care.  This contractual
arrangement continues to be a national model and should not be included in
any proposals for transfer to health care organizations.

As can been seen in the two studies as well as the Statewide Annual
Operating Reports for past performance of Florida's coordinated
transportation program, costs for the services due to coordination have
remained stable or reductions have occurred.  Safety is at an all-time high
for transporting our most vulnerable citizens due to uniform standards of
safety that are required by the Commission and the Department of
Transportation.

I have been fortunate to work at the national and regional area since I
retired as Executive Director of this program and I can attest to the fact
that Florida has and continues to be a leader in coordinated transportation.
Many states and the National Conference of State Legislatures are pointing
to the Florida model as one that other states should adopt.

As you struggle with tough decisions to address budget deficits and meet
other needs, I urge you to maintain this cost effective program under the
leadership of the Commission.  Please leave the funding and administration
of the non-emergency transportation program under the Commission so that the
demonstrated cost savings can be continued and that uniform standards for
all these services can continue. Lastly, please keep in place the
Transportation Disadvantaged Trust Fund administered by the Commission that
was created to protect access to dialysis, work, health care and other forms
of mobility that those of us with our own transportation take for granted.

For more information about the program and the referenced reports, visit the
Commission's website at: www.dot.state.fl.us/CTD.

If you need me to testify or provide more information, please contact me at
850.524.0394.  Thank you for your consideration and for supporting Florida's
elderly, disabled and others with their mobility needs in a coordinated
manner.

Sincerely,

Jo Ann Hutchinson

Jo Ann Hutchinson

Former Executive Director (Retired in 2003)

Commission for the Transportation Disadvantaged

401 Gould Road

Quincy, FL  32351

Kirk Harmon
President & CEO