[Nfbf-l] What to do in Orlando (Braille Monitor June)

Denise Valkema valkemadenise at aol.com
Thu Jun 9 20:07:49 UTC 2011

Braille Monitor                                                 June 2011
(back) (contents) (next)
What to Do in Orlando
>From the Editor: No one has much free time during NFB conventions, but the Orlando Chamber of Commerce has some ideas of things to do if you are coming early or staying after the convention. We have gathered together some of their suggestions as well as the names and contact information for restaurants in the general area. We also threw in listings for a few transportation companies. We hope you find this helpful.
Area Attractions
Blue Man Group Orlando
(407) 224-3849
www.uogroupsales.com
Now Performing. Come experience the eclectic mix of live music, imaginative percussion instruments, and unexpected humor of Blue Man Group at Universal Orlando Resort.
Bok Tower Gardens
(863) 734-1210
www.boktowergardens.org
Enjoy the beauty and serenity of 250 acres of Olmsted-designed gardens, majestic 205-foot-tall belltower, sixty-bell carillon. Mediterranean Revival mansion, nature preserve, museum exhibits. National Historic Landmark. Café and Gift shop.
Dinosaur World
(813) 717-9865
www.dinosaurworld.com
Dinosaur World has over a hundred-fifty lifesize model dinosaurs in lush natural surroundings. Enjoy a picnic, examine real dinosaur eggs, and shop for unique treasures.
Gatorland
(407) 855-5496
www.gatorland.com
Nature-based theme park featuring alligators, crocodiles, and a variety of animals. Florida's best train ride. Three exciting shows. Central Florida's largest wading bird sanctuary.
Holy Land Experience
(407) 872-2272
www.holylandexperience.com
Visit the gateway to ancient Jerusalem at Orlando's unique destination. Explore the world of the Bible at the Holy Land Experience. Open Monday to Saturday 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. Closed Sundays.
Orlando Science Center
(407) 514-2128
www.osc.com
There is something new to discover around every corner at the Orlando Science Center. Explore hands-on exhibits, live shows, and giant screen movies the whole family can enjoy together.
Ripley's Believe It or Not! Orlando Odditorium
(407) 345-0501
www.ripleysorlando.com
Explore an amazing variety of weird and unusual exhibits, artifacts, and displays in sixteen galleries that pay tribute to the odd, bizarre, and unbelievable!
Titanic–The Experience
(407) 248-1166
www.titanictheexperience.com
Guided tours led by Captain Smith, Molly Brown, and other Titanic notables. Full-scale recreation of the Grand Staircase and more. Authentic artifact & historical treasures. A brand new interactive dive area and captains bridge.
WonderWorks
(407) 351-8800
www.wonderworksonline.com
WonderWorks is an amusement park for the mind with over a hundred interactive exhibits for visitors to experience.
If you need transportation while you are in Orlando, contact one of these companies:
GetawayToGo.com
(352) 874-6784
www.getawaytogo.com
Please reserve our affordable chauffeur driven car, SUV, or van. Our policy is privacy, safety, and professionalism. We guarantee reliable, clean vehicles. We serve 24/7.
SuperShuttle/ExecuCar Orlando
(407) 343-0221
www.supershuttle.com
Travel in comfort and style with ExecuCar. Our comfortable luxury sedans are your private ride to or from the airport, business meeting, social event, or anywhere else in town, twenty-four hours a day. Or, try Express by SuperShuttle for convenient, affordable, nonstop service to or from Orlando area airports.
Diamond Cab Company
(407) 296-4000
www.diamondcabco.com
Twenty-four-hour, radio dispatched transportation including taxi cabs, shuttles, or unmarked sedans to and from all destinations, including the Orlando Sanford International Airport.
Associated Transportation of Florida
(407) 7-888-9220
www.associatedtransportation.net
Quick Transportation
(407) 354-2456
www.quicktransportation.com
Orlando is a vacation destination, so it has many restaurants to tempt every palate and pocketbook.
Nearby Restaurants
Arcanjo's Bistro
(407) 355-0550
www.cporlando.com
Enjoy breakfast or dinner in a relaxed, comfortable environment with daily breakfast buffet. Prime rib and crab leg buffet on Saturday or choose from a balanced, varied menu featuring the best of innovative contemporary cuisine.
Augustine's Bar and Grille
(407) 351-2420
www.wyndhamorlandoresort.com
Located in Wyndham Orlando Resort, this is one of the best dining values in Orlando. Check out our breakfast buffet or dinner specials.
B-Line Diner
(407) 345-4532
www.peabodyorlando.com
Located in the Peabody Hotel, Orlando. Beautiful diner featuring favorites from years gone by and creations for today's trends. Full take-out window. Four menu changes daily. Open twenty-four hours a day, seven days a week.
Brick House Tavern and Tap
(407) 355-0321
www.brickhousetavernandtap.com
Diverse selection, over 70 beers. Elevated American fare. Most important, personalized hospitality that only our Brickhouse girls can provide. Outside patios with firepit.
Bubba Gump Shrimp Co. Restaurant
(407) 903-0044
www.bubbagump.com
Located at Universal City Walk, the restaurant captures the down-home feeling audiences took away from Paramount Pictures' classic film, Forrest Gump. Enjoy shrimp, seafood, and American classics in a fun, casual, family atmosphere.
Buffalo Wild Wings–International Drive
(407) 484-6931
www.buffalowildwings.com
More than just a NY wing joint with fourteen signature sauces. Sports bar with complete menu. Salads to appetizers to burgers. Come feel comfortable, and stay as long as you like.
Café Gauguin
(407) 996-9840
www.rosencentre.com
Located in the Rosen Centre Hotel. Family and casual dining. Buffet and menu service, three meals daily. Prime rib buffet nightly. Conveniently located near the Convention Center.
Café Matisse
(407) 996-1713
www.rosenplaza.com
Located in the Rosen Plaza Hotel, all-you-care-to-eat buffet and a la carte service. Three meals daily. Sunday Brunch. Conveniently located near the Convention Center.
Copper Canyon Grill
(407) 363-3933
www.ccgrill.com
Walking distance from the Convention Center. Semi-private group accommodations including a wine room and huge covered patio with bar. Buyouts welcome. Please contact groupsales at ccgrill.com for more information.
Everglades Restaurant
(407) 996-9840
www.rosencentre.com
Located at the Rosen Centre Hotel, feast on prime steaks and fresh Florida seafood. Explore the incredible flavors of gator chowder, wild boar, venison pepper steak, and other unique regional specialties.
Fuddruckers at Festival Bay
(407) 778-1934
www.fuddruckers.com
Diners enjoy freshly baked buns and a range of burgers prepared to taste. Booth and table seating. Diner-like feel. Patrons load up tasty toppings including fresh produce, variety of sauces/condiments.
Gatorville Restaurant
(407) 351-2420
www.wyndhamorlandoresort.com
Floribbean outdoor restaurant—the perfect place to relax with an open view of the pool and nature. Oversize salads, sandwiches, and drinks, like "swamp" water are served daily.
Golden Corral Buffet and Grill–International Drive
(407) 352-6606
www.goldencorral.com
The largest and best breakfast, lunch and dinner buffet and grill available anywhere. Buffet includes steaks, pastas, pizzas, fresh vegetables, full salad bar, desserts, and hand-carved meats everyday.
Hard Rock Orlando
(407) 370-5886
www.hardrock.com
World-renowned restaurant just outside Universal Studios Florida, featuring the largest collection of Rock 'n' Roll memorabilia and classic American fare. We have group dining and a private room available.
Hooters of Pointe Orlando, Inc.
(407) 850-2552
www.hooters.com
Let the world famous Hooters Girls show you why Hooters has grown to international proportions. Now serving cocktails, Hooters celebrates twenty-five years of serving up delicious wings, burgers, salads, seafood, and more. Come by, hang with the Hooters Girls, have a cold one, and enjoy the view.
Houlihan's Restaurant
(407) 447-2800
www.houlihans.com
A new theme restaurant serving baby back ribs, Santa Fe style chicken served over linguini, and black angus steak. Excellent jambalaya and hot caramel apple pie. Pleasant service and a stress-free atmosphere.
J. Alexander's Restaurant
(407) 345-1039
www.jalexanders.com
J. Alexander's is a casual dining restaurant with a contemporary American menu. Providing our guests with the highest quality food and extraordinary service are the cornerstones of our concept.
Jimmy Buffett's Margaritaville
(407) 224-6916
www.margaritavilleorlando.com
A mecca for "Parrotheads" or for anyone who wants to have a good time and a great meal in the ultimate tropical setting. The signature Volcano Bar features a volcano exploding with margarita mix.
The Kitchen
(407) 503-9090
The Kitchen at Hard Rock Hotel at Universal Orlando Resort is home to rock 'n' roll celebrity chefs who dish out one hit after another.
Miller's I-Drive Ale House
(407) 370-6688
www.millersalehouse.com
The comfortable atmosphere of a neighborhood bar and grill. Eighty-five TV's, three bars, and seventy-five beers. Menu focusing on freshness and value. Group dining available on our 5,000 sq. ft. patio.
NASCAR Sports Grille
(407) 224-2362
www.nascarsportsgrille.com
NASCAR Sports Grille is a world-class gathering place for the tremendously loyal NASCAR faithful and anyone with a passion for sports, great food, and an exciting action-packed experience.
NBA City
(407) 363-5919
www.nbacity.com
NBA City, twice voted Orlando's Best Theme Restaurant, is the only place where award-winning food, fan-tastic interactive games, and authentic NBA flavor take you courtside.
O'Charley's
(407) 354-0010
www.ocharleys.com
O'Charley's is the fastest growing casual dining restaurant in the U.S. with over 230 restaurants known for unsliceably soft rolls, freshly prepared steaks, seafood, chicken, and salads.
Seasons 52
(407) 902-3164
www.seasons52.com
Casually sophisticated fresh grill featuring a seasonally inspired menu and international wine list. Groups welcome. Event dining includes family-style or customized menus.
Sharky & Jacks Bar and Grille
(407) 351-5009
www.bworlando.com
Casual dining with a Caribbean flavor. Good food, good drinks, and good friends. Dinner and happy hour specials daily.
Sweet Tomatoes Restaurant–International Drive
(800) 689-1684
www.sweettomatoes.com
Featuring two 55-foot salad bars brimming with vegetables and fresh salads, made-from-scratch soups, freshly baked warm muffins, hot pastas, frozen yogurt with toppings, and much more.
TGI Friday's
(407) 903-9556
www.fridays.com
New look, same great food. Still serving favorites such as our Jack Daniels Grill items. Private room accommodates 75-100, special menu available for parties.
Timpano Italian Chophouse by E-Brands Restaurants
(407) 226-1433
www.timpanochophouse.net
Reviving the big city dining experience with award-winning Italian cuisine. Private dining from fifteen to four hundred. Outdoor dining on Lakeview Terrace. Buyouts available. Close to Convention Center.
Uno Chicago Grill
(407) 351-8667
www.unos.com
Our legendary pizzas are just the beginning. Enjoy our perfectly seasoned steaks, pastas, seafood, Chicago's Original Deep Dish Pizza, relaxing bar, and much more.
Amura Japanese Steak House & High Definition Sushi
(407) 936-6001
www.amura.com
Upscale contemporary restaurant serving traditional Japanese cuisine with French infusion. Pepper steak, largest sushi bar in Orlando, full liquor.
Dragonfly-Robata Grill & Sushi
(407) 370-3359
www.dragonflysushi.com
We are a modern twist on Japanese style tapas, featuring a full sake bar, Robata grill and sushi. Live entertainment on Friday and Saturday nights.
Emeril's Tchoup Chop
(407) 224-6671
www.emerils.com
Chef Emeril Lagasse's seventh restaurant. Featuring Asian and Polynesian food, complemented by Chef Emeril's signature bold flavors. Located at the Loews Royal Pacific Resort at Universal Orlando. Open daily for dinner from 5:30 to 10 p.m. Also open for weekday lunch from 11:30 a.m. to 2:30 p.m. and Sunday brunch from 10:30 a.m. to 2:00 p.m.
Kobe Japanese Steakhouse & Sushi Bar
(407) 352-1811
www.kobesteakhouse.com
Ming Court–The Art of Oriental Cuisine
(407) 351-9988
www.ming-court.com
Orlando’s most popular Oriental restaurant featuring innovative Dim Sum, sushi, wok, and char-grill cuisine. Live music nightly. Family-style service, value pricing, and casual dress. Open daily for lunch and dinner.
Seito Sushi
(407) 248-8888
www.seitosushi.com
Traditional Japanese cuisine with fresh seafood and steaks in a contemporary and upscale setting. Amenities include a full sushi bar, robust wine and liquor selection, and private dining.
Shogun Japanese Steakhouse
(407) 996-4444
www.rodewayinnorlando.com
For a unique dining experience, join us at Shogun for the best steak, chicken, and seafood in Orlando. Watch as your own personal chef cooks right at your table.
WA Restaurant
(407) 226-0234
www.warestaurant.com
Simple elegance and perfect design. Finest fish from Japan and Hawaii ensures the highest quality of sushi. We give the diner a true taste of Japan's wonderful cuisine.
Wantilan Luau
(407) 503-9090
www.loewshotels.com/royalpacific
Royal Pacific Resort at Universal Orlando, A Loews Hotel, immerses guests in the tropical enchantment of the South Pacific. The Wantilan Luau features exciting Polynesian entertainment and new wave Pacific Rim cuisine.
Westgate Smokehouse Grill at Westgate Lakes Resort and Spa
(407) 345-0000
www.westgateresorts.com
Located at Westgate Lakes Resort & Spa, the Smokehouse Grill serves up cowboy-sized portions of lip-smackin’ good steaks, BBQ ribs, pork, and more.
Tilted Kilt Pub & Eatery
(407) 226-6886
www.tiltedkilt.com
Sports Bar Pub & Restaurant with a widely varied menu. Indoor and outdoor patio bar with big screen and plasma TVs featuring all your favorite sports programming.
Emeril's Orlando
(407) 224-2424
www.emerils.com
Emeril's Restaurant Orlando, located at Universal Orlando's CityWalk, specializes in a blend of Creole, Cajun, and American gourmet. We are open for dinner Sunday through Thursday from 5 to 10 p.m. and Friday to Saturday from 5 to 10:30 p.m. We are also open for lunch from 11:30 a.m. to 3 p.m.
Fat Fish Blue
(407) 480-2000
www.orlandofatfishblue.com
Unique dining: Louisiana-infused, American fare. Live music, walking distance to Convention Center, Pointe Orlando, three meeting spaces, buy-outs, and home to Improv Comedy Club.
Chatham's Place
(407) 345-2992
www.chathamsplace.com
Close to Convention Center and area attractions. Highly select gourmet menu featuring rack of lamb and blackened grouper. Casual elegance.
Funky Monkey Wine Company
(407) 418-9463
www.funkymonkeywine.com
Local independently owned restaurant that offers a variety of sushi, seafood, steak, amazing wine, beer, and saki selections. Private dining, buyouts, and outside patio.
India Blue
(407) 363-5333
www.indiablue.us/
Contemporary Indian cuisine. Lunch and Dinner daily. Offsite venue w/large outside covered patio can accommodate groups up to 439.
BRAVO! Cucina Italian Restaurant
(407) 351-5880
www.bravoitalian.com/
We offer lunch, dinner, and kid's menu daily along with an extensive Italian wine list and a variety of pizza, pasta, and other Italian specialties.
Cala Bella
(407) 996-9770
www.calabellarestaurant.com
Italian bistro serving a variety of delicious dinner entrees, featuring a presentation-cooking bar, where guests can watch our chefs skillfully prepare their culinary delights.
Maggiano's Little Italy
(972) 770-8661
www.maggianos.com
Maggiano's Little Italy specializes in Italian-American cuisine made from scratch daily. We offer lunch, dinner, and carryout service.
Olive Garden
(407) 264-0420
www.olivegarden.com
Casual dining Italian restaurant. Serves lunch and dinner. Private dining space available.
Vinito's Ristorante
(407) 354-0404
www.vinitousa.com
Vinito Ristorante offers fine Italian cuisine at reasonable prices. Located at the Prime Outlet Mall with private room, two exterior patios and inviting bar. Come visit us.
Café Tu Tu Tango
(407) 248-2222
www.cafetututango.com
An all-appetizer, multi-cultural eatery resembling an artist loft in Barcelona, Spain. Featuring local artists and spontaneous entertainment. Come in and join the party.
Cuba Libre Restaurant & Rum Bar
(407) 226-1600
www.cubalibrerestaurant.com
Open air, tropical ambiance, upbeat Latin music, salsa dancing, and floorshows, traditional and updated Cuban cuisine, signature mojitos, and a selection of over seventy rums.
Bonefish Grill
(407) 355-7707
www.bonefishgrill.com
A concept founded on the premise of simplicity and consistency, Bonefish Grill is a popular destination for those looking for a high-quality dining experience within a manageable price range.
Boston Lobster Feast–International Drive
(40)7 851-4001
www.bostonlobsterfeast.com
World famous lobster and seafood buffet. All the lobster, prime rib, sushi, and crab legs you can eat, with over fifty other items on our incredible seafood feast.
Crab House
(407) 352-6140
www.landrysseafood.com
Serving excellent quality seafood in a casual, lively atmosphere. Entrees range from fresh fish to over a half-dozen different types of crab to steak and pasta combinations...all-you-can-eat seafood and salad bar.
Lombard's Seafood Grille at Universal Studios Florida®
(407) 363-8000
www.universalorlando.com
You can't visit the famous winding street, but you can sample some San Francisco style food. Stop in for a great selection of lobster, seafood, sandwiches, steak, and pasta. Or check out the Pastry Shop for a tasty treat.
Oceanaire Seafood Room Orlando
(407) 363-4801
www.theOceanaire.com
As sleek as an ocean liner, yet as relaxed as dinner on the shore, the Oceanaire Seafood Room provides the perfect setting to enjoy fresh seafood flown in daily from around the world.
Red Lobster at the Convention Center–International Drive
(407) 245-5100
www.RedLobster.com
Red Lobster at the Convention Center–International Drive offers the freshest, best-tasting seafood at a friendly price. It features an award-winning menu with healthy selections, traditional favorites, and an activity booklet/menu for kids.
BB King's Blues Club
(901) 544-9103
www.bbkingclubs.com
Dining, dancing, fun atmosphere with a southern menu and hospitality that can accommodate 700 seated guests. Full restaurant, bar, and live music, seven days a week. Perfect venue for private parties, banquets, and receptions.
A Land Remembered
(407) 996-1448
www.landrememberedrestaurant.com
Upscale steakhouse named after Patrick Smith's novel featuring Florida's historical moments and landscapes, offering Harris Ranch all natural Black Angus Beef and classic American favorites.
Bahama Breeze Island Grille–International Drive
(407) 248-2499
www.bahamabreeze.com
At Bahama Breeze you can leave the cares of the world behind as you enjoy incredible food and tropical drinks in a carefree island atmosphere.
Capital Grille
(407) 370-4392
www.thecapitalgrille.com
At the Capital Grille enjoy dry-aged steaks, chops, and fresh seafood acclaimed by the nation's toughest food critics and an award-winning collection of over 400 wines.
Jack's Place
(407) 996-1713
www.jacksplacerestaurant.com
Located in Rosen Plaza Hotel, dine where celebrities hang around. Signed caricatures of the world's most notable surround you as you dine on aged mid-western beef and fresh seafood.
Morton's The Steakhouse
(407) 248-3485
www.mortons.com
Award-winning restaurant famous for a signature menu and perfectly broiled USDA prime aged beef, fresh seafood, vegetables, and elegant desserts.
Palm Restaurant
(407) 503-2384
www.thepalm.com
Renowned for its world-famous steaks and jumbo lobsters, the Palm is more than just a great restaurant, it's a celebration.
Ponderosa Steakhouse–International Drive
(407) 345-9200
www.ponderosaorlando.com
Featuring our famous all-you-care-to-eat grand buffet. Serving steak, chicken, and seafood in a family-style dining atmosphere.
Ruth's Chris Steak House
(407) 226-3900
www.ruthschris.com
We serve only the best U.S. Prime, the top 2% of U.S. beef, as well as the freshest seafood, chicken, lamb chops, and more. Private dining room available.
Sizzler Restaurant–International Drive
(407) 447-2800
www.sizzler.com
Breakfast, lunch, and dinner. Hand-cut steaks, chicken, fresh seafood. Children's menu. All-you-can-eat fresh fruit and salad bar. Beer and wine. Banquet room and group rates.
Taverna Opa
(407) 351-8660
www.opaorlando.com
Offering an assortment of dishes served family-style or a-la-carte, ranging from seafood samplers to grilled lamb chops and vegetarian stuffed peppers. This unique venue includes nightly entertainment of belly dancing and live DJ.
Texas de Brazil–Brazilian Steakhouse
(407) 355-0355
Texas de Brazil is a Brazilian-American steakhouse featuring a sixty-item gourmet salad area and seasoned cuts of beef, lamb, pork, chicken, and sausage—all flame-grilled to perfection.
Tony Roma's
(407) 248-0094
www.tonyromas.com
More than great ribs. Crispy fresh salads, mouth-watering char-grilled steaks, juicy BBQ chicken, pastas, and delicious seafood make up a menu sure to please every guest. Convenient I-Drive location.
(back) (contents) (next)

-- Sent from Denise's Palm Pre