[Nfbf-l] National Anthem

Sherri flmom2006 at gmail.com
Tue Jun 14 19:32:34 UTC 2011

found this interesting! Happy Flag Day all.

Sherri

DEAR ABBY: I was criticized recently for placing my right hand over my heart
while the U.S. flag was flown and "The Star-Spangled Banner" was being sung.
I was told that the hand over the heart is for the Pledge of Allegiance
only, when the flag is present. Is that true, and what is the proper
procedure? -- ST. LOUIS PATRIOT
DEAR PATRIOT: No, it is not true. Whoever criticized you was ignorant of the
Flag Code, as amended by the 94th Congress and approved July 7, 1976.

According to the code, "During the rendition of the national anthem when the
flag is displayed, all present ... shall stand at attention facing the flag
with the right hand over the heart. ... When the flag is not displayed,
those present should face toward the music and act in the manner they would
if the flag were displayed there."

And by the way, happy Flag Day to all my readers out there.