[Nfbf-l] NFB Congratulates Dwight. Number 8 in the nation!

REPCODDS at aol.com REPCODDS at aol.com
Sun Jun 26 18:36:14 UTC 2011

____________________________________
 From: NABlindVets at aol.com
To: pattymelt048 at aol.com,  livenlifefully14 at gmail.com
CC: repcodds at aol.com
Sent: 6/26/2011 2:24:06  P.M. Eastern Daylight Time
Subj: [Nfbnet-members-list] National Federation  of the Blind Congratulates
Dwight

Dwight D. Sayer
National  President,
The National Association of Blind Veterans
A Division of the  NFB
Email - presidentnabv at aol.com
or president at nabv.org
Web Site -  _www.nabv.org_ (http://www.nabv.org/)

____________________________________
Subj: [Nfbnet-members-list]  National Federation of the Blind Congratulates
Blind Driver Experience  Participants

FOR IMMEDIATE  RELEASE

CONTACT:

Chris  Danielsen

Director of Public Relations

National Federation of  the Blind

(410) 659-9314, extension 2330

(410) 262-1281  (Cell)

_cdanielsen at nfb.org_ (mailto:cdanielsen at nfb.org)

National  Federation of the Blind Congratulates
Blind Driver Experience  Participants

Baltimore, Maryland (June 24,  2011): The National Federation of the Blind
(NFB), the oldest and largest nationwide organization of blind  people,
today congratulated the  thirty people who won the honor of participating in the
Blind Driver  Experience.  On Tuesday, July 5, from 1–6:00  p.m., as part
of the NFB National Convention in Orlando, the winners will  get the
once-in-a-lifetime opportunity to ride in the Blind Driver  Challenge™ car equipped
with nonvisual technology (the same car that was  driven on the famed
Daytona International Speedway on January 29,  2011).

The participants of the Blind Driver  Experience will be driven in the
official Blind Driver Challenge™ vehicle by  Mark Riccobono, executive director
of the NFB Jernigan Institute, and the  first blind person to drive a street
vehicle in public.

The Blind Driver Experience is an initiative of the  NFB Imagination Fund,
which supports the education, technology, and research  projects of the NFB
Jernigan Institute, as well as programs conducted by the  fifty-two
affiliates and over seven-hundred local chapters of the  Federation.

Dr. Marc Maurer, President of the  National Federation of the Blind, said: “
We greatly appreciate the hard work  of our Blind Driver Experience
participants, as well as our other  Imagination Fund contributors.  With their
help, we are able to create  innovative research, training, education, and
technology programs that  improve the lives of the blind and move us closer to
our ultimate goal of  full integration into society on a basis of  equality.”

Parnell Diggs, chairman of the Imagination  Fund, said: “We congratulate
our Blind Driver Experience participants, and  thank them for a job well done.
 It is vital that we raise the funds we  need to operate the programs of
the National Federation of the Blind.   Those who registered to be Imaginators
and raised at least $1,000 by June 15  have our gratitude."

The top ten individuals in  overall dollars raised as of June 15 were
automatically selected to  participate in the Blind Driver Experience.  The
remaining twenty spots  were drawn at random from the pool of individuals who
raised at least $1,000  for the Imagination Fund by June 15, and who plan to be
in attendance at the  convention.  Each individual winner is invited to
bring three guests,  and if for some reason a winner cannot participate, the
ride is  transferable.

The Blind Driver Experience winners are  listed below:

Top Ten
    1.  John Paré (MD)
    2.  Mary Ellen Jernigan (MD)
    3.  Parnell Diggs (SC)
    4.  Jack & Pat Munson (CA)
    5.  Patti Gregory-Chang (IL)
    6.  Ann-Marie Laney (MD)
    7.  Joe Ruffalo (NJ)
    8.  Dwight Sayer (FL)
    9.  Lindsay Adair (TX)
    10. Scott LaBarre (CO)

Eleven through thirty were drawn and  announced Wednesday evening on
ThruOurEyes with Joe  Ruffalo.

    1.  Ever Lee Hairston (CA)
    2.  C. Edwin Vaughan (CA)
    3.  Denise Avant (IL)
    4.  Gary & Debbie Wunder (MO)
    5.  Kim Diggs (SC)
    6.  William Jacobs (MD)
    7.  Debra Canty (SC)
    8.  Dan Burke (MT)
    9.  Carl & Mindy Jacobsen (NY)
    10. Patricia Maurer (MD)
    11. Barbara Pierce (OH)
    12. Kathleen Byrd (NM)
    13. Anthony Cobb (MD)
    14. Garrick Scott (GA)
    15. Dr. & Mrs. Capps (SC)
    16. Mark Riccobono (MD)
    17. Ed Morman (MD)
    18. Julaine Arient-Rollman (SD)
    19. Kayleigh Joiner (TX)
    20. Kimberly Flores (TX)

For more information  about the Blind Driver Experience, please visit
_www.blinddriverchallenge.org_ (http://www.blinddriverchallenge.org/) .

###

About the National Federation of the  Blind

With more than 50,000 members, the National  Federation of the Blind is the
largest and most influential membership  organization of blind people in
the United States.  The NFB improves  blind people’s lives through advocacy,
education, research, technology, and  programs encouraging independence and
self-confidence.  It is the  leading force in the blindness field today and
the voice of the nation's  blind.  In January 2004 the NFB opened the
National Federation of the  Blind Jernigan Institute, the first research and
training center in the  United States for the blind led by the  blind.

Nfbnet-members-list  mailing  list
Nfbnet-members-list at nfbnet.org