[Nfbf-l] Sight is Required

Sherri flmom2006 at gmail.com
Sun Jun 26 21:02:14 UTC 2011

Very well said Tara. Matt, I have days when I feel that were it not for
blindness, my life would be a lot better too, but then I think about it and
realize that most of my problems and struggles are not caused by blindness,
but by other situations and circumstances. Those of us who have never seen
would be faced with grave psychological problems if we were suddenly to
receive our sight. We would be receiving sensory input of a kind we have
never had and who knows how we would react. I know perfectly sighted
individuals who have a lot of adjusting to do. I know blind individuals who
are doing great things, have great jobs and seem very together. But we all
have problems and it is all relative. To say that seeing would solve
everything I'm afraid is a great over-generalization. That does not mean
that I do not hope for advances in the medical and biomedical field for
sight restoration; it just means that I regard blindness as a very small
part of the adjustment problem. I do appreciate your thoughts, however, and
feel there are many who feel as you do.