[Nfbf-l] Sight is Required

Bill Kociaba williamkociaba at comcast.net
Sun Jun 26 21:52:58 UTC 2011

OK, what I am about to  say may not make me very popular with some of you
but such is life...
Matt, Tara, everyone out there being blind SUCKS!  Plain and simple. But if
all of us who are blind suddenly had good vision that does not mean all our
problems would be gone. In fact it would create new problems for those who
had never seen.  It would be a kind of sensory overload that might just be
too much for one to emotionally deal with.   Matt you say one interesting
thing "enough sight that I wouldn't appear to be blind..." I totally
understand that there are things you want to do or used to do that require
sightthat is an issue for anyone of us who doesn't want to just sit on the
computor or phone as you  say however weather or not you appear to be blind
shouldn't mean a damn thing to you! Its not your problem if your being blind
bothers someone its their problem!
Everyone goes through changes in their lives and everyone has to accept that
some things they might have enjoyed at one time might not be possable any
more.  Weather they see or not.  The super athalete who can't do what he or
she used to when they get older has to have great frustration..but they find
other interests and accept what can not be changed.  Before my vision got
very bad I used to be a coin collector. I was one of the most knowledgable
young people in the hobby. I published articles and one all kinds of awards
and well now I can't see those coins that used to give me so much enjoyment.
Such is life. I have replaced that with other things.
I am going to throw a question at you all.  Give it some serious thought.
If you were given the choice from this moment forward until the end of your
life to be blind, not be able to hear or be stuck in a wheel chair.  Which
would you take?  If you can't hear you really can't comunicate with people
very easily.  You can't hear music, birds, the sound of a storm the sound of
your child or grand childs voice.  I have traveled in europe a bit and
learned that the rest of the world is not as accessable as the US.  Most of
those wonderful old buildings are not wheelchair accessable and the prospect
of trying to deal with the cobbelstone streets in Rome in a chair...just not
gonna happen. We as "blind people" can live much more "normal" and active
lives than either the def person or one in a chair.  It sucks but it could
be worse!

As far as being well adjusted to a change or loss in your life goes, it
doesn't mean that you never are sad over it or never think, "if only..." it
means accepting your situation and doing the best you can to live a full and
happy life.  My father has been dead for 14 years and I have adjusted to him
not being in my life but that doesn't mean I don't miss him it doesn't mean
that at times when I am remembering him that a tear doesn't come to my eye.
It just means that I can go on with my life and function.  Something I
couldn't do for a while when I first lost him.
It would be wonderful if there were procedures that could help us see but if
we sit and wait for them and hope and all that we are gonna miss out on lots
of good stuff that could be happening to us right now.
My all time favorite song lyric is by John Lennon and it applys so well
here.  Matt ponder this one real hard(and any of the rest of you who feel
sorry for your selves a bit too much) LIFE IS WHAT HAPPENS WHILE YOU ARE
BUSY MAKING OTHER PLANS...Bill

Bill Kociaba
CRUISEONE
Bill at Ycruise.com