[Nfbf-l] {Disarmed} Fw: Honor Olmstead's Legacy: Know Your Rights!

Carlos J MontasAS carlos.montas at gmail.com
Mon Jun 27 14:06:53 UTC 2011

----- Original Message -----
From: Frankie Mastrangelo - JFA Moderator
To: carlos.montas at gmail.com
Sent: Friday, June 24, 2011 2:14 PM
Subject: Honor Olmstead's Legacy: Know Your Rights!

                  American Association of People with Disabilities Newsletter  JFA is a free service of the American Association of People with Disabilities (AAPD)

                        In This Issue
                        Olmstead v. L.C.: 12 Years Later
                        Mobilizing for Medicaid: Policy and Grassroots Updates
                        The Rent is Too High: SSI Payments Not Enough to Cover Average Cost of Rent
                        New to the AAPD Twitter Feed
                        Meet Mark! AAPD to Host Virtual Town Hall with New President & CEO
                        In DC: Recruiting Persons with Disabilities for National Survey
                        Medicare Proposes New Standards for Community Mental Health Centers
                        Olmstead v. L.C.: 12 Years Later

                        The Legacy of a Landmark Case

                        via the Department of Justice (6.23.11):

                        Know Your Rights! DOJ Issues New Technical Assistance Document on Enforcement of Olmstead

                        The Department of Justice released a new technical assistance document describing public entities' obligations and individuals' rights under the integration mandate of title II of the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) and the 1999 landmark Supreme Court decision, Olmstead v. L.C...

                        Additionally, in commemorating the 12th anniversary of the Olmstead decision yesterday, the department launched a new section of its ADA website, www.ada.gov/olmstead, providing information and resources about the decision and its enforcement.

                        .>>>For More or To Comment

                         via the White House blog (6.22.11):

                        Olmstead Champion Meets President

                        by Sue Jamieson

                        The memories of living in institutional settings since the age of 13 will always be with Lois Curtis even though her life today is beyond what she ever could have imagined when she made the first of many brave phone calls to my office at the Atlanta Legal Aid Society saying, "I want to get out!"

                        The journey (and struggle) from that day includes an historic Supreme Court decision, a home of her own and a successful career as an artist. And now, a meeting with President Barack Obama in the Oval Office as we observe the 12th anniversary of the Olmstead decision...

                         via the White House (6.22.11):

                        On Anniversary of Olmstead, Obama Administration Recommits to Assist Americans with Disabilities

                        "The landmark Olmstead case affirmed the rights of Americans with disabilities to live independently," said President Obama. "On this anniversary, let's recommit ourselves to building on the promise of Olmstead by working to end all forms of discrimination, and uphold the rights of Americans with disabilities and all Americans"...

                        >>>For More or To Comment

                        via the Department of Justice (6.22.11):

                         DOJ Intervenes in Texas Case to Enforce Olmstead

                        The Justice Department today filed papers seeking to intervene in Steward, et al. v. Perry, et al., a case filed on behalf of thousands of Texans with developmental disabilities to enforce their right under the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) to receive services provided by the state in the most integrated setting appropriate to their needs...

                        >>>For More or To Comment

                        Mobilizing for Medicaid

                        Policy and Grassroots Updates

                        via AAPD (6.20.11):
                        Senators Write to President to Save Medicaid from Chopping Block

                        Senator Jay Rockefeller (WV) and 40 other Senators sent a letter on June 9, 2011 to President Obama stating their opposition to block grant, cap, or otherwise eliminate or slash Medicaid coverage for our nation's most vulnerable citizens, which includes people with disabilities.

                        According to a poll by the Kaiser Family Foundation from May, most Americans oppose the idea of converting Medicaid to block grant financing to reduce the federal deficit...

                         >>>For More or to Comment

                        via ADAPT (6.21.11):
                        ADAPT Issues Call for Real Medicaid Reform, Rally to be Held Sept. 21st

                        June 22nd is the anniversary of the landmark Supreme Court decision in Olmstead, which applied the integration mandate of the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) to long term services and supports. Twelve years later, members of Congress and state governments are trying to de-fund that right by cutting Medicaid and giving states "flexibility" to cut programs that assist people with disabilities and seniors to live in their own homes and communities.

                        In response to these harmful federal proposals, ADAPT is launching a campaign for real Medicaid reform that protects people's liberty in every state of the country.

                        Over the next few months, ADAPT and other disability organizations are mobilizing their members to visit their Congressional and state representatives and organize events in Washington DC and every state.

                        The campaign will be highlighted with a rally in Washington DC on Capitol Hill, Wednesday September 21st.

                         >>>For More or To Comment

                        The Rent is Too High

                        Study Reveals SSI Payments Not Enough to Cover Average Cost of Rent

                        via the Arc of Illinois (6.20.11):

                        Vulnerable People with Disabilities Completely Priced Out of Nation's Housing Market

                        The national average rent for a modestly priced one-bedroom apartment is more than the entire amount of Supplemental Security Income received by people with disabilities, according to a new study released today by the Consortium for Citizens with Disabilities Housing Task Force and the Technical Assistance Collaborative....

                         >>>For More or To Comment

                        MODERATOR, Frankie Mastrangelo, JUSTICE FOR ALL -- A Service of the American Association of People with Disabilities (AAPD).

                        To respond to a JFA email, submit an article, or contact the moderator, email her at jfa at aapd.com.
                        ACCESSIBILITY: To request to receive a text-only version of this and every JFA newsletter rather than the html version, please contact the moderator at jfa at aapd.com.

                        DISCLAIMER: The JFA listserv is designed to share information of interest to people with disabilities and promote dialogue in the disability community. Information circulated does not necessarily express the views of AAPD. The JFA listserv is non-partisan.

                        JFA ARCHIVES: All JFA postings from 1995 through October 2007 are available on the AAPD website. Archives of news and other articles featured on JFA since October 2007 are available by category and date on the JFActivist blog.

                        Share JFA

                        Quick Links
                        Become an AAPD Member

                        JFActivist Blog

                        New to the AAPD Twitter Feed

                        An expert on mental illness reveals her own struggle:
                        http://ow.ly/5oSiS
                            *********

                        PWD Comprise Just 1% of Primetime Network TV Roles
                        http://bit.ly/lMkraZ
                        *********
                        Battling bullying - Abuse still exists, but disabled see progress: http://ow.ly/5oRMt
                         Meet Mark! AAPD to Host Virtual Town Hall with New President & CEO

                        via AAPD (6.21.11):

                        Take the opportunity to share what's on your mind! Join AAPD's new President & CEO Mark Perriello for a virtual town hall at 12pm on Wednesday, June 29th!

                        Mark will answer your questions live about the future of AAPD, employment issues, disability, the 2012 presidential election and any other issues affecting our community.

                        >>>For More or to Comment

                        In DC: Recruiting Persons with Disabilities for National Survey

                        via the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics (6.15.11):

                        The U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics is looking for:

                        Individuals with a disability

                        OR

                        People who live with an adult who has a disability

                        To help develop questions that will be used in a national survey.

                        $40 for a 1 hour session

                        Call (202) 691-7524 and ask about the "CPS Study" for more information.

                        Medicare Proposes New Standards for Community Mental Health Centers

                        via the Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services (6.16.11):

                        The Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services (CMS) today issued a proposed rule that is designed to improve the quality and safety of treatment provided to more than 25,000 Medicare beneficiaries who receive care at Community Mental Health Centers (CMHCs) each year.

                        The notice of proposed rulemaking would establish conditions of participation (CoPs) for CMHCs for the first time...

                        >>>For More or To Comment

      Forward email

            This email was sent to carlos.montas at gmail.com by jfa at aapd.com |
            Update Profile/Email Address | Instant removal with SafeUnsubscribeT | Privacy Policy.

      American Association of People with Disabilities | 1629 K Street, NW | Suite 950 | Washington | DC | 20006