[Nfbf-l] treaty didn't pass

Tara Prakash taraprakash at gmail.com
Wed Dec 5 19:31:04 UTC 2012

I disagree with Sheri's statement. First of, tea party people are not in
power. There are just a troublesome minority. By next month we will
definitely have two more votes with the new Senate coming to existence. And
if the state affiliates work more aggressively on their senators, it
shouldn't be difficult to have the treaty ratified. I am not sure if NFBF
had a policy on specifically working on Florida senators, but when I am
reading these past emails, I don't see any email from the NFBF board members
on this issue. I have been out of  Florida for a long time, I may be wrong.

Secondly, the bigger problem is not the name of UN, it is the name of
American with Disabilities Act. Tea party whole heartedly hates this law. I
should say the shepherds leading this seemingly disparate movement hate the
law. Rand Paul, and other libertarians have openly opposed ADA before.
Ratification of this treaty will be another affirmation of ADA from the
Congress. No ratification doesn't hurt anyone in  the US right now, but
closer to the doom's day when tea party controls the government they may do
away with ADA. In the absence of an international treaty bounding on the
government in the US, they won't be required to reinstate this ADA kind of
laws. Opposition of ADA fits the general tea party philosophy, or lack of
any philosophy, ADA is just another government regulation which is
burdensome and restrictive for businesses.
Here is an NPR interview with the one of the darlings of tea party.