[Nfbf-l] Statement by the Press Secretary on the Convention on the Rights of Persons with Disabilities

Alan Dicey adicey at bellsouth.net
Wed Dec 5 22:20:21 UTC 2012

Statement by the Press Secretary on the Convention on the Rights of Persons
with Disabilities
We are disappointed that the overwhelming majority of Senate Republicans
today blocked the Convention on the Rights of Persons with Disabilities,
which would enshrine American standards that have been developed through
decades of bipartisan cooperation. Ratification would require no changes to
U.S. law, as the United States already leads the world in promoting and
protecting the rights of persons with disabilities. However, it would
position the United States to support extending across the globe the rights
that Americans already enjoy at home. This in turn would improve the lives
of Americans with disabilities -- including our wounded service members --
who wish to live, work, and travel abroad. It would also allow our
businesses to operate on a more level playing field and reaffirm American
leadership on disability rights. For these reasons, and others, Democrats
and Republicans in the Senate and across the country -- as well as
disability advocacy groups, wounded warriors, veterans groups and business
groups -- have supported this treaty. We commend former Senator Dole and the
bipartisan coalition of Senators who worked to secure the treaty
resolution's passage, including Senators Reid, Kerry, Lugar and McCain. We
hope the Senate will reconsider this treaty soon in the next Congress. As
President Obama declared in a written statement read in tribute to Senator
Dole just before the vote, disability rights should not stop at our nation's
shores.
Stay Connected

   FacebookTwitterYouTubeFlickrGoogle+