[Nfbf-l] Joyce's Departure & DBS Interim Director

Johnnie Slaton slatonj52 at earthlink.net
Sat Dec 22 17:16:07 UTC 2012

Greetings To All,

assignment of Aleisa McKinlay as Interim Director, I am requesting that all
consider the facts concerning all.

Joyce's departure is  not exclusively  the results of employees complaining
about lack of compensation and favoritism that Joyce demonstrated.
Investigations have   documented unlawful procedures regarding contracts,
hiring practices and unfair treatment to those who declared her
discrepancies.  The position that  Joyce's departure is chiefly due to
disgruntle people ignores the facts presented in legal certified
documentation.

I am amazed how the tenor has been to uphold persons in leadership
positions, despite demonstration and documentation of practices that are
unlawful and not in the best interest of the blind community, just because
the leader is blind or who has shown some favor/service to NFB.

I recall in the case of Rick Brown, who committed unlawful acts and  misused
the trust placed in him by his clients and NFB; how many ignored the facts
and even stated that "Rick will always  be looked up to".  The
acknowledgement of his deeds was seen as a character attack instead of  an
acknowledgement of  unethical and unlawful behavior. The look should not
have been "up" or "down"; but the look should have been straight ahead.
Looking at the facts and not the friendship and removing any from leadership
positions   who engage in practices that negatively impact the well being of
the blind of Florida.  My caution is not to be blinded by general  good
deeds  and incidents of services rendered to NFB, while the  fundamental
paradigm and practices are unethical and not in the best interest of the
blind community.

Concerning Aleisa McKinlay, her position is interim.  In a state wide
December 20  telephone conference to all DBS Employees she stated, "I cannot
say that it is a pleasure to accept this position, I can say it is a
privilege.  I have no intentions of supporting a merge of DBS and VR.  DBS
has unique needs and merging the two agencies is nothing that I support.  I
am here to serve as interim and welcome your thoughts about how to best
serve you and the blind of Florida".  Her choice as interim was thought out
and the best in view of the circumstances.  The choice considered who was
best ready through experience and demonstration of related   actions that
could best address the challenges.  As we consider her replacement, securing
a competent blind person to take her place should be considered and actively
pursued.  However, blindness should not be a trait that overrides all of the
qualities that are required for effective leadership.  Remember, blindness
is just one of our physical attributes.  The important traits for leadership
include:   adherence to legal guidelines, fair treatment, professional
insight, and personal commitment should be primary.

There was no haste with being vocal when the facts were presented about
Joyce.  There should be no haste in  writing to anyone about the Interim DBS
Director.   There are no facts to state that her appointment is not in the
best interest of the blind community.  She has not had the opportunity to
demonstrate leadership.

Please consider that DBS was providing excellent services to constituents
prior to Joyce's arrival.  Please consider that DBS has  employees who are
committed to meeting the needs of the blind, without bias and through
demonstrated services.  DBS is shaken, but not broken. Many who left were
against the unlawful practices that have been documented.  Those who were
fired by the  Commissioner received the consequences of misconduct or
association with others who engaged in unlawful practices.  I celebrate the
departure and   purging of any in leadership position who do not demonstrate
practices in the best interest of the blind community.

The voice of NFB has a place of esteem in the blind community.  Before we
speak, wait for demonstration of leadership and review factual
documentation.  Time will tell what is best.  We must stay alert and not
fire until the real target is identified.

Cheers,

Johnnie Slaton