[Nfbf-l] FW: Member Update On Changes to Fare Display

Jody W. Ianuzzi jody at thewhitehats.com
Thu Jan 26 20:45:13 UTC 2012

Here is the message I got from Southwest.  It seems pretty straight forward.
Of course on Southwest there is no charge for luggage. Yes, I love Southwest
JODY

Dear Jody:

As a valued Rapid RewardsR Member, we would like to make you aware of the
Department of Transportation's new price advertising rule and the steps that
we are taking to be in compliance. This price advertising rule affects all
airlines and requires that advertised fares include all government-imposed
taxes and fees that the Customer is being asked to pay.

When you visit southwest.comR, the fares displayed will now include all
government excise tax, government segment fees, September 11th security
fees, and airport passenger facility charges. It is important to note that
fares have not increased, but that the initial fare display now includes all
government-imposed taxes and fees. Customers have always paid these taxes
and fees; however, previously these taxes and fees were added to the fare at
time of purchase.

What this means to you as a Rapid Rewards Member:
There is no change in how your points are calculated when earning points for
flights taken or on the amount of points required to redeem for free*
flights. There is a change in the way that fares are displayed on
southwest.comR. As a result, you will not earn Rapid Rewards points on the
entire advertised fare displayed at the time of booking, as the fare will
have all government-imposed taxes and fees now included. You will continue
to earn points on the Base Fare + Excise Tax portion of your advertised fare
just like before. This has not changed since the launch of our new Rapid
Rewards Program in early 2011. Points required for redemption of free
flights will also be calculated using the Base Fare + Excise Tax portion of
your advertised fare.

For more information regarding this change, please click here
<http://www.blogsouthwest.com/blog/department-transportation-passenger-prote
ction-rules> .

Thank you for being a Member, and we look forward to seeing you onboard
soon.

Sincerely,
 Ryan