[Nfbf-l] do we really want hate and anger on our list?

Kirk kvharmon54 at gmail.com
Sat Mar 24 19:09:24 UTC 2012

        Craig, I worked our BV program feverishly in Florida for quite
awhile a few years back demoing and signing up many of them throughout our
state. I even had started to contact our state VA executives about getting a
grant not only for our senior blinded Veterans, but for our other disabled
Veterans as well. When Tom Hartig passed away the  support for this effort
was no longer there! I at that time stopped the effort and have not been
active myself in the funding efforts for the  service. I still have worked
on the help line for many, many years and have never stopped demoing it at
blind gatherings, whether they are formal ones or  not. I still do much of
the "Welcome Letters" to our new subscribers folding, stuffing, and mailing
them  to all. I love this service and  the seniors that subscribe  to it as
well! I have yet to  go to a senior group to demo the service without
signing up each person or blind  spouse attending it. This, to me, anyway,
is all the confirmation I need to realize this service is critical for a
better mental outlook which effect's their health in this positive way as
well as being more educated about their local communities makes them feel
that their blindness is not, as they had accepted it, for the most part, the
end of their full lifestyle. this new awareness  of  community, community,
state, national, and even international news so they can discuss all while
there out and about like the sighted seniors do on an  even and aware
equality with them! I havve witnessed repeatedly how Newsline has gotten so
many out of their depression, and out of their recliners and after using
Newsline, ask what else is available for them and what else is available for
them or what else can they do! If nothing else, We need to realize that
Newsline is not only a source for news and information to all ages, but a it
is also a source to change peoples lives around  and learn to embrace their
blindness in a positive and exciting way, rather than give up and fade away!
I would love to see a strong marketing effort be created and done for
Newsline Florida reaching out to the money people in our corporate
community's as well as small business, and our local politicians through one
on one demos of our service to them so they can see how this tool can change
the lives of our community's first hand. and more importantly, someone
willing to not only write grants , but to research all the possibility's for
them. When I first approached the Director of DBS Craig, I approached her
not as a Newsline supporter, but as a blinded Veteran State board member and
district director of the BVA/FRG and asking for her not to let down these
individuals that I just talked so strongly about! This is when she had told
me she wouldn't. I do no that she has had many different financial decisions
to make since our last talk, but I would love to see us bbe able  to enjoy a
more liberal budget where we wouldn't have to rely on one source for our
survival! Now, let me  compliment  your organization that works hard to
raise funds for DBS. Just  think if Newsline Florida were to submit a
request to help us to your orgnaization. Anything you could assist us with
would be that  much less we would need to ask her for, right? LOL! You take
care! Your friend in the cause, Kirk