[Nfbf-l] Be part of the World!

Mark Tardif markspark at bellsouth.net
Sat Mar 24 20:17:19 UTC 2012

Matt:

Regarding computers and the Internet, yes the web has become more and more a
part of our lives.  However, to say that that is a person's choice not to
have a computer is something you might want to think a little more about.
Although the price of a good desktop has certainly come down, not everyone
can afford one.  When I worked for the federal government a number of years
ago, there were actually people I spoke with who did not have, and could not
afford a computer.  This is probably especially true in the blind community
with the extremely high unemployment rate we have.  And once you get the
computer, some of the speech programs are quite expensive and no, not
everyone has a rehab counselor who is going to provide funding for a program
like JAWS.  These are things to consider before saying that someone not
keeping up with the world by having a computer is their choice.  Just some
thoughts.  And I happen to work with and know highly educated, bright people
who use Newsline all the time and think it is wonderful, and with good
reason.

Mark Tardif
Welcome to my planet