[Nfbf-l] new government-funded cellphone app will help the blind count their cash

Alan Dicey adicey at bellsouth.net
Wed Oct 10 14:24:58 UTC 2012

WASHINGTON -- A new, government-funded cellphone app will help the blind and
those with visual impairments count their cash.
Those with Android devices can scan a bill with their phone's camera and the
app will read the bill's denomination aloud.
The Education Department and the U.S. Treasury teamed up to launch the free
app. U.S. Treasurer Rosie Rios says the "IDEAL Currency Identifier" is
intended to give the blind more independence.
There's already a similar free app called EyeNote for Apple devices such as
iPhones and iPads. The Bureau of Engraving and Printing says that app has
been downloaded more than 8,000 times since its launch last year.

With Best Regards,
Alan
Miami, Florida
Join a Free voice Chat Community on the Web!
Hey Folks!  Would you like to have lots of fun and meet other blind or
visually impaired individuals from across the country and around the world?
Do you like challenging games, old time radio, adaptive cooking techniques,
book clubs, chess instruction, product presentations, real time technical
assistance with your computer, and lots and lots more?  If this is what you
are looking for, join us at, Out-Of-Sight!  We offer over 30 different Chat
Rooms with something for everyone!  This site is made up of the most
friendly and courteous folks    you are likely to meet on the net!  The
Out-Of-Sight community is made up of a set of free voice chat rooms that are
extremely user friendly, and all you need is a microphone to get started!
To become a member and join our Out-Of-Sight free chat community go to the
website, at,

 www.out-of-sight.net
If you have any questions or need assistance logging in, please contact,
webmaster at out-of-sight.net
We hope to see you soon!  "Catch the vision--it's Out of Sight!"