[Nfbf-l] Breakthrough artificial retina nears FDA approval.

Alan Dicey adicey at bellsouth.net
Wed Oct 17 14:35:24 UTC 2012

Breakthrough artificial retina nears FDA approval.
October 16, 2012 by Sarah Fecht.
It's been three years since Barbara Campbell first had an electrode array
implanted on the back of her eye. She wears it every time she leaves the
house, using it to navigate around New York City. After being blind for more
than a decade, the artificial retina has partially restored Barbara's sight,
and  she delights in the fact that her vision is still improving in subtle
ways.

The creators of the Argus II-the device that has helped Campbell to regain
some sight -won a Popular Mechanics Breakthrough Award in 2010. Now the
device,  which has been in clinical trials since 2008, is getting closer to
being able to  help people beyond Campbell. Earlier this month, the FDA
voted unanimously to recommend Argus for approval. Mark Humayun, the
biological engineer who co-invented the Argus II, says that the team expects
FDA approval within the next few months, and thinks the technology could be
marketed to U.S.  patients in 2013.

For Cambpell and a few other Argus test subjects who attended the FDA
hearing, the ruling was a victory. "The more people that can use [the Argus
II], the  more research that can go into it, and the more advances it can
make," she says.
"It's a win-win for everybody."

The device uses a sunglass-mounted camera to capture an image, and then
translates the image into a pattern of signals. The signals are sent to an
array of 60 electrodes implanted at the back of the eye. The electrodes
fire, stimulating the retinal cells that collect light in a healthy eye. The
brain interprets those pulses into an image.

Humayun says his team is now working to increase the implant's from 60
electrodes to 240 or more, which is expected to increase the resolution of
the image it creates. The team has also found a way to restore some color
vision  to users of the device; this feature could be incorporated into
future  generations of the technology.

For Barbara, that would be a dream come true. "I would love color," she
says. "I really miss seeing color." For now, though, she's already enjoying
things  she never thought she would again. One day, eight months ago, as she
walked  along East 85th Street she noticed something glinting. "I realized,
'Oh this is  the railing on the ramp to the gym.' I hadn't seen that before.
It was exciting.  Now I can look for that as a landmark as I come down the
block."

Source URL:
http://www.popularmechanics.com/how-to/blog/breakthrough-artificial-retina-nears-fda-approval-13781574