[Nfbf-l] Dual Membership in NFB and ACB

Dan Hicks danjhicks at yahoo.com
Thu Dec 12 04:20:09 UTC 2013

Fellow Federation Members and friends

There has been some controversy lately about dual membership in the NFB, or
our affiliate, the National Federation of the Blind of Florida or NFBF; and
the American Council of the Blind, or ACB, or its Florida affiliate, the
Florida Council of the Blind or FCB.

You may recall that, thirteen years ago, the Board of Directors of the NFB
of Florida circulated a policy that no person can be a leader in any
capacity in the NFBF or in any NFBF chapter, division, or committee, if that
person is a current member of the American Council of the Blind, including
the Florida Council of the Blind.

As you know, the NFBF is required by its constitution and charter and by the
NFB Pledge, to abide by the constitution and policies of the National
Federation of the Blind. The above policy, approved by the NFBF Board, does
agree with national policies, but it really does not go as far as it should.

The National Federation of the Blind does have a policy opposing any dual
membership In the two organizations. In other words, if a person is a
current member of the ACB or FCB, that person cannot be a member in good
standing of the NFB or the NFBF.

Please remember that this is a national policy and we are required bo follow
it.

Here are some answers to some questions you or others may have, now or in
the future:

Why do we have this policy?

Although members of the NFB and ACB sometimes work together on some projects
and serve together on the committees and boards of directors of other
organizations, and although the NFB and ACB share some of the same ideas and
goals, the NFB and ACB are very different organizations. Some of our goals
and policies have been directly opposed by the ACB, and I am sure we have
opposed some of their goals and initiatives, from time to time. Dual
membership has been compared to being a member of both the Democratic Party
and the Republican Parties - both parties share some goals and ideals. But,
they also have some very different objectives and aims.

What do we do about current NFBF members who are also current ACB members?

We simply tell them that they need to choose which organization they wish to
belong to. We don't do background checks, nor do we comb the FCB rolls for
the names of our members, who might be secret spies for that organization.
Sorry, but it is nothing quite so dramatic. We must assume we are all
honorable people. It's all on the honor system.

Can FCB members attend our meetings?

Absolutely. We encourage others to visit our chapter meetings. This includes
members and officers of the FCB. However, we need to make sure that our
policies are clear: They have to decide if they are going to remain members
of the FCB or are going to become members of the NFBF. This decision need
not be made immediately or in haste. We want them to be happy with the
decision, so they will be committed members of whichever organization they
choose to belong to. However, when they have decided to join the NFBF, they
need to leave the FCB.

Can I still have friends In the ACB and associate with ACB members?

Of course. Most of us do. Some of us have relatives who are in the FCB. Most
of us have friends and relatives that are members of a different political
party. That can make for some very interesting Thanksgiving Day
conversations!

We are all free to discuss whatever blindness-related issues we wish to with
whomever we wish. Treat everyone with kindness and respect and practice what
you believe in.

How can I encourage ACB members to join the NFB?

We do not seek to actively target those in the ACB/FCB. Invite all blind
people and interested sighted people to your meetings. Have interesting
programs and projects for them to learn about and be involved with. People
who practice the federation philosophy tend to attract others of like mind.
That may be the best recruiting tool that we have.

I hope this little FAQ and this message have explained this adequately.

Please remember that this is a national policy, which has been in effect for
a very long time. The NFB of Florida has had a somewhat weaker policy, which
was not really in keeping with the national policy, and this is something
that we are required to change. I think the national policy is a good and
reasonable policy - I hope the above statements will show you why - but,
even if I didn't like it, we would still be obligated to follow it by our
constitution, our charter, and by the very words of the NFB Pledge, which
reads: "I pledge to participate actively in the efforts of the National
Federation of the Blind to achieve Equality, Opportunity, and Security for
the blind; to support the policies and programs of the Federation; and to
abide by its constitution."

Thank you all for making the NFBF the strong and caring organization that it
is.

Dan Hicks, President

"Not all those who wander are lost."

                           -J. R. R. Tolkien