[Nfbf-l] Cruise "clarification" please!

Dan Hicks danjhicks at yahoo.com
Tue Jan 15 03:03:34 UTC 2013

Carlos,

Regardless of your stated intentions, I think you are definitely coming off as negative.

The NFBF State Board of Directors has never forced anybody to attend a convention. We do our best to build and plan the best conventions possible and hope that our members are inspired to come and that they care enough about the organization to take part.

We sought input before planning the cruise. The CruiseVention 2014 was endorsed by the President's committee. The cost for those attending need not constitute an expense which is significantly greater than has been necessary to attend various landbased conventions. We understand the financial situation faced by many of our members, which is why we are putting so much emphasis on fundraising, so early in the game. I don't know where you get the idea that the board is doing a poor job of planning the convention. That is merely your uninformed opinion, not, as you call it, a fact.

I think what is causing the buzz on this list is the statement made by Joe Minichiello — endorsed by all other board members, including myself — that our chapters are not allowed to summarily boycott any NFBF convention. It would be ridiculous and malicious for any chapter to consider such action.

We have had many conventions where a chapter or two are not represented for one reason or another. That is not the same kind of thing as if a chapter were to vote or otherwise decide to avoid the convention out of pique or anger. One of the purposes of our conventions is to come to agreements and to iron out differences. So, if members of a chapter have differences with the currently elected state board, it would be in their best interest to attend the convention in question and either have their grievances addressed or elect a new board.

Dan

No trees were harmed in the creation or distribution of this message.
However, many millions of electrons were severely inconvenienced.