[Nfbf-l] Nickelodeon News Feature: "Out of Sight: How Blind Kids See the World" airs Monday Jan 28

Lenora J. Marten bluegolfshoes at aol.com
Sun Jan 27 14:33:31 UTC 2013

Good morning everyone,

On Monday, January 28, Nick News will feature a
special they are calling "Out of Sight: How Blind Kids See the
 World." There are a couple of NFB teens featured on this
episode.

Website says:
If you want to make something harder, trying do it with your eyes closed.
Not easy, right?
For most of us, things get much easier when we open our eyes again.
But for some kids, a lack of sight is a challenge they have to face for the rest of their lives.
On Monday, January 28th, at 8:00 p.m. (Eastern/Pacific), kids across America will talk about living with blindness – and overcoming it.
That’s the focus of the next edition of Nick News with Linda Ellerbee.
It’s called, “Out of Sight:  How Blind Kids See the World.”
“When I lost my sight, I started to feel depressed,” a boy named Santiago says.  “I was bumping into stuff … and I felt like I couldn’t do anything anymore.”
He now knows he was wrong.
“You use your other senses,” he says.
“In middle school, kids would tease me,” says a girl named Brittany.  “They would take my pencils and hide them because they know I couldn’t see them.”
Now, though, she says, “I don’t believe being visually impaired limits me in any way.”
A girl named Xin Ju says she even sees being blind as an advantage.
“I don’t need to see something to believe in it,” she says.  “We use our hearts and our imaginations.”
And a girl named Sophie says she sees her blindness “as a blessing.”
“I can never miss what I’ve never had,” she says.  “(And) my parents have never treated me differently.”
What do all of these kids want you to know about their lives?
And how should you react if you meet a kid who can’t see?
You’ll find out the answers to those questions when you tune into Nick News with Linda Ellerbee on Monday, January 28th, at 8:00 p.m. (Eastern/Pacific), for the premiere of “Out of Sight:  How Blind Kids See the World.”
(If you live in a different time zone, check your local cable TV listings to find out when the program will be on in your area.)
Get some insight, from kids who’ve learned to live their lives without sight.

http://news.nick.com/01/2013/25/kids-see-through-the-challenges-of-blindness/

Lenora J. Marten
NFB-Florida Secretary
FOPBC President