[Nfbf-l] The Public Internet Turns 20 Today! (Article)

Alan Dicey adicey at bellsouth.net
Wed May 1 14:49:11 UTC 2013

The Public Internet Turns 20 Today!
Tuesday, April 30, 2013 - by Seth Colaner
It's hard to believe, but 20 years ago yesterday, there was no publicly
available World Wide Web. Sure, the Internet existed (and had for many
years), but it wasn't until Tim Berners-Lee working at CERN, developed the
software necessary to make the Web the information superhighway that it is
today. (When's the last time you heard someone drag out that old
"information superhighway" chestnut?)

The difference that the Web has made in the world is undeniable and cannot
be overstated, but many of us alive today fit into a generational niche
where we're old enough to remember trying to navigate life, school, work,
and relationships without the Web but are young enough that when it debuted,
we "got it" right away and quickly assimilated it and its uses into our
daily lives.

For instance, "research" meant going to the actual, physical library. Google
didn't exist yet, so if you didn't know some factoid, so you had to look it
up in Encyclopedia Britannica. (And many families had entire volumes of the
things on their bookshelves.) If you wanted to learn how to play the guitar,
you had to go and find a human being at a shop somewhere to teach you during
the day instead of just pulling up YouTube videos and learning on your own
in the wee hours. If you wanted to buy something that your local store didn't
carry, you either had to beg a merchant to special order it for you, find it
a paper catalog, or just live without it. Selling a car? That's the
newsprint Auto Trader for you, pal.
And on and on and on.

To commemorate this major birthday of the Web, let us hear about your first
encounter with it. How old were you? What was the first website you remember
visiting? What computer did you use to access it?

Via: Fox News | News Archive | Tags: Internet, CERN, Misc, World-Wide-Web,
Tim-Berners-Lee

Subject: HAPPY BIRTHDAY! The Public Internet Turns 20 Today!

http://hothardware.com/News/The-Public-Internet-Turns-20-Today/