[Nfbf-l] Reviewing Described Movies - "What is a Described Movie?"

Alan Dicey adicey at bellsouth.net
Mon May 6 17:59:51 UTC 2013

From: the Matilda Ziegler Magazine  Weekly Edition for May 6, 2013
Contributor Robert Kingett - Reviewing in the Dark

Reviewers write what they see in a movie. A film has everything from vibrant
camera work to catchy credits with high-class animations. My attention,
however, isn't focused on the shiny effects, the green screen effects, or
the makeup because I don't see any of that when I sit down to review a movie
for magazines and newspapers. I'm a blind film critic evaluating a different
aspect of a movie that many people don't know about. Instead of focusing on
the stunning visuals, I evaluate the word choice, clarity, accuracy, tone of
voice, and emphasis pauses to help create a special service for the blind
and visually impaired called audio description that is now steadily growing
to a never before seen availability.

Audio description is a service for the blind and the visually impaired that
describes key visual elements of a program in between natural pauses in the
movie's soundtrack. Audio description describes costumes, gestures, scene
changes, and facial expressions.

Creating an audio description for a film is a lengthy process. After the
filmmakers finish shooting the movie, they send it off to trained describers
who watch the movie a minimum of three times before carefully compiling a
script to match the pauses in dialogue. After the script is written it is
sent, along with the produced movie, to the audio description production
team where they create a separate digital audio track. Once the process is
completed, the described film is sent back to the studio where they
distribute it to movie theaters, and later on DVD, if the studios decide to
include the track on the DVD. Many don't.

Audio description is a careful practice as it has a lot to review and
evaluate. Consideration needs to be given to every facet of the audio
descriptor's work. The description cannot be verbose and it should not
describe something the soundtrack may already convey. The inflections must
also be fitting, and the vocabulary age appropriate. The language used needs
to be precise enough to convey information without detracting from the film.
A great example is comedy: if there's a hilarious scene happening and the
audio describer keeps using complicated words to describe a simple witty
action then the audio description is not good.

A lot of people don't know about audio description, newspapers and magazines
included. Usually critics are anonymous, but since I'm an audio description
critic, using a service that's just now making its way into true mainstream
media, I have to make sure it's available. To ensure theaters have audio
description I turn to captionfish.com; a service that will find described
films near you designated by zip code. It takes some effort to establish
credibility with theaters as there is no standard for audio description
critics so I'm proud to say that I have patience. It's worth it when I
arrive and the manager issues me my reviewer's ticket and I strut into the
theater with my audio description FM headset on, ready to dissect the meaty
goods of a feature flick.

The people whom I write for appreciate the different scope of opinions. I
enjoy bringing a new objective opinion to the table about the newest hit
blockbuster through different eyes. I enjoy using my brain to explore the
unexpected as well as shed some light on an accessibility angle. Through my
reviews, editors and readers get a chance to experience a movie through
different eyes. The reward is not in getting to see a movie before others
but the reward is lending my appraising ears to a medium that has its own
form of sight in adjectives, nouns, and pronouns. Continuing on my critical
road will, I believe, open readers to new sights and sounds, editors to
unique and different perspectives that many can appreciate, and, overall,
new beams of awareness involving care for accessibility and careful choice
of words.

###
Visit the hottest, most happening place around on the web. Where the blind
community will be inspired and entertained!
It's the BlindCafe.net and it's a great place to learn, laugh, chat and make
long lasting friendships with people from around the world.
There is always someone to greet you with a friendly smile night and day. It's
totally free! Come and try out our awesome stereo    music rooms, trivia
games, Chess Chats, Act in one of our Mystery Plays, Share your talent with
us, receive I-Phone Lessons and updates, we offer     tutorials on an array
of programs, we have over 600 described movies for you to listen to at your
convenience, Revisit a classic described T V show such as Leave it to Beaver
and Mash,    or just come on in and join us for an interactive chat, and a
whole lot more!
It's totally accessible and easy to use.
For more info, please Visit us at www.BlindCafe.net,
That's
www.BlindCafe.net
It's the site where our members matter