[Nfbf-l] Is 'seeing' with sounds better than sight restoration inthe early blind?

Mark Tardif markspark at roadrunner.com
Tue May 14 00:29:28 UTC 2013

This sounds interesting.  I can tell you that my sense is that if an adult
who has been totally or near totally blind all his/her life were to suddenly
have full sight, it could be quite traumatic for that person.  I have heard
about real instances in which the person simply went back to using the
blindness techniques and did not use this sight, for example, not turning
their lights on in the evening.  I think your depth perception would be way
off and their would be serious overstimulation, which might ultimately cause
you to become psychotic.  I mean, imagine, your walking on a busy city
sidewalk with crowds of pedestrians coming awfully close, lots of these big
things we know as cars, buses and trucks, and this blindingly bright thing
in the sky that we know as the sun.  If you don't have a sense of what
vision is like in the first place and never have had this sense, I should
think it would be frightening.  Even I, who have some light perception, and
enjoy seeing the sun, think I would be "blown away."  Just my opinion.  If
given the choice, I would rather remain blind, even if it meant the eventual
loss of what little vision I have.

Mark Tardif
Nuclear arms will not hold you.