[Nfbf-l] Iowa now allows visually impaired citizens to carrygunslegally

Brian Norton benorton at samobile.net
Thu Sep 12 18:24:48 UTC 2013

Hello Fellow NFB members,
I have often joked that I gave away my guns only after none of my
friends would go hunting with me anymore! Actually, after I gradually
lost my vision due to RP, I held on to both my guns and my cars too
long after it was no longer safe for me to drive, hunt,  or
realistically defend myself with a firearm without endangering innocent
bystanders. Although blind persons should be allowed permits to enjoy
competitive target practice or driving motor vehicles on the Salt Lake
racetrack, I voluntarily surrendered my drivers and hunting licenses
with much emotional regrets for my loss. However, I would never have
forgiven myself if my macho/bravado had resulted in the accidental
death or injury to myself, my family, friends,  or others after I
should have reasonably known to quit. Maybe with advancing technology,
I might someday be able to enjoy the independence and pleasure of
safely driving and hunting,but for now my personal desires and freedom
are outweighed by the safety of the community. Of course, I came to
this difficult decision by myself, but only after being urged by my
doctor, my family, and friends. I believe I made the right choice.
Unfortunately, The NRA and the gun manufacturing lobby have pushed the
image that every red-blooded American should own a firearm without
restrictions for type of weapon or the age,ability,or competency of the
owner. Gun ownership should not be relegated to a conservative/liberal
political dicotomy. Too many Americans are killed or injured by both
guns and cars, and the primary emphasis for use of either of these
deadly weapons should be safety of the community, especially those
innocent bystanders with neither a gun or a car.
Sincerely, Brian Norton