[Nfbf-l] Alabama State Quarter

Patricia A. Lipovsky plipovsky at cfl.rr.com
Sun Sep 15 16:42:41 UTC 2013

I found this interesting,and thought I would share it.  I personally did not know Alabama had such a thing.

Alabama State Quarter
The Alabama quarter is the second quarter of 2003, and the 22nd in the
50 State Quarters® Program.
Alabama became the 22nd state to be admitted into the Union on December 14, 1819. The Alabama quarter design features an image of Helen Keller with her
name in English, and in a reduced-size version of braille. The Alabama quarter is the first U.S. circulating coin to feature braille. An Alabama long leaf
pine branch and magnolias grace the sides of the design, and a "Spirit of Courage" banner underlines the central image.

Helen Keller was born at "Ivy Green" in Tuscumbia, Alabama, in 1880. When she was a small child, an illness destroyed her sight and hearing and, consequently,
depriving her of the senses by which we normally learn to speak. Despite her disabilities, Helen Keller learned to speak and read using the raised and
manual alphabets, as well as Braille. Miss Keller also graduated with honors, receiving her Bachelor of Arts degree from Radcliffe. She went on to publish
numerous books, articles and essays. Helen Keller lived out her life addressing social issues for disabled persons and women. Every year at "Ivy Green,"
a weeklong celebration is held to commemorate her lifetime of accomplishments and her "Spirit of Courage."

Quarter Specifications
Release Date: March 17, 2003
Reverse (tails) Side: Spirit of Courage
Engraver: Norman E. Nemeth