[Nfbf-l] Science in Mind Two cameras to help where eyes have failed

Alan Dicey adicey at bellsouth.net
Tue Sep 24 16:34:28 UTC 2013

Science in Mind
Two cameras to help where eyes have failed
By Carolyn Y. Johnson - Globe Staff     September 23, 2013
   Article
A dual camera system being developed by a Draper Laboratory engineer could
help Blind people navigate.
For years, engineer Rich Madison has been developing a system that could
help soldiers or driverless vehicles navigate in environments where GPS
signals falter.
Imagine soldiers searching for a weapons cache within a dense forest or a
rover on another planet trying to pick its way toward a destination, well
beyond the reach of turn-by-turn, satellite-sent directions.
The Draper Laboratory engineer's technology instead uses two cameras - a
system like our eyes - to assess how much distance has been covered and when
the vehicle has turned.
It may even help blind people get around more easily.
Last summer, Madison was giving a presentation at a conference focused on
soldier navigation and a professor at Auburn University who worked on
transportation technologies asked if he would like to collaborate on a
different sort of project. Perhaps their joint expertise could be used to
build a prototype of a device that could help blind people navigate - not
just at the street level, but within buildings and through parking lots.
Through a contract with the Federal Highway Administration, researchers at
both institutions are working to develop a device to help blind people find
their way around, or simply know where they are at a given moment.
The Draper technology's two cameras each see a slightly different view,
information that can be used to generate feedback on where a person is, and
where he or she is heading. Madison said that placing the cameras as far
away from each other as possible - such as on epaulets - would give the
greatest accuracy, though attaching them to a hat or glasses seems more
probable.
The technology, which will be designed with input from the National
Federation of the Blind, could help with everyday navigational problems. In
the future, a blind person might be able to take the subway to a show, weave
through the station, then enter a concert arena and be guided directly to a
seat by a sophisticated navigation system that can "see" the local
environment.
The trick will be designing the technology so that it helps the people who
need it. Assistive technologies can often be less adept than the people they
are designed to help.
Carolyn Y. Johnson can be reached at
cjohnson at globe.com. Follow her on Twitter
@carolynyjohnson.
With Best Regards,
God Bless,
Alan
Plantation, Florida
Visit the hottest, most happening place around on the web. Where the blind
community will be inspired and entertained!
It's the BlindCafe.net and it's a great place to learn, laugh, chat and make
long lasting friendships with people from around the world.
There is always someone to greet you with a friendly smile night and day. It's
totally free! Come and try out our awesome stereo    music rooms, trivia
games, Chess Chats, Act in one of our Mystery Plays, Share your talent with
us, receive I-Phone Lessons and updates, we offer     tutorials on an array
of programs, we have over 600 described movies for you to listen to at your
convenience, Revisit a classic described T V show such as Leave it to
Beaver, Mash, Alf, Andy Griffith, Bonanza, Brady Bunch, dragnet,  Gilligan's
Island, Green Acres, Jefferson's, Little House on the Prairie, The Munsters,
W.K.R.P in Cincinnati, The Walton's    and many more television programs!
Or just come on in anytime 24 / 7 and join us for an interactive chat and a
whole lot more!
It's completely free, totally accessible and easy to use.
For more info, please Visit us at
www.BlindCafe.net
That's
www.BlindCafe.net
It's the site where our members matter the most!