[Nfbf-l] Statement of the World Blind Union to the WIPO General Assembly September 26, 2013

Alan Dicey adicey at bellsouth.net
Fri Sep 27 05:38:56 UTC 2013

Date: September 26, 2013 at 1:01:34 PM PDT
Statement of the World Blind Union to the WIPO General Assembly
FYI,
Please read below the statement from the World Blind Union before the United
Nations World Intellectual Property Organization (WIPO) September 26 in New
York City on the treaty for the visually impaired signed in late June of
this year, with more details about the next steps required by countries to
implement the treaty.

Statement of the World Blind Union to the WIPO General Assemblies 2013
delivered by Christopher Friend       September 26, 2013

Having been a regular attendee at the  WIPO General Assemblies and the
Standing Committee on Copyright and Related Rights for the past six years,
and as a blind person myself, it gives me great pleasure to represent the
World Blind Union - WBU - to bring this short message to this meeting.

On behalf of all blind and print disabled readers around the world,  WBU
wishes to express its sincere appreciation to the WIPO Member States and the
Secretariat for giving us the Marrakech Treaty.

Most of you attending this Assembly will know of the wonderful news from
Marrakech, in June, that an historic Treaty was agreed to help end the book
famine faced by visually impaired and other print disabled people.

WBU is sure that the Marrakech Treaty will significantly help in the fight
to end the book famine in which only a few percent of published works are
ever available in accessible formats visually impaired people can read
independently.

We would like to thank most warmly all those who have contributed to the
successful conclusion of the Marrakech Treaty. It was an agreement that many
said would never happen; indeed, we also sometimes feared failure. Great
credit, and our heartfelt thanks, go to the Kingdom of Morocco for its
excellent hosting of the Diplomatic Conference; and especially to the
Member States and the Secretariat for working so hard throughout the two
weeks to achieve agreement on the Treaty text; and to our many friends and
supporters in the NGO community and a host of others too numerous to name.

Rest assured that the World Blind Union places great importance on the need
to respect Rights Holders' interests, whilst using the Treaty to improve the
lives of the people we represent. These two goals are perfectly compatible.
Indeed, that is why we spent years working at WIPO to achieve the Treaty we
needed. We will continue to work with authors, publishers and others within
the intellectual property system, recognising that without them, the
inclusive world we aspire to will continue to elude us.

No agreement or law is of use unless it is implemented, and we will be
tireless in our efforts to ensure that the Marrakech Treaty delivers the
benefits it promises. To this end, WBU has already started campaigning
around the world for the early ratification and implementation of this
Treaty. It will not enter into force until 20 Member States have ratified
it, and the more that ratify, the more effective it will be in helping print
disabled people to read accessible books that have so far been closed to
them. WBU urges all Member States' Diplomats and Technical Advisors
attending this Assembly to encourage your Capitals to ensure a speedy and
effective ratification strategy in your countries.

Again, we offer our warm thanks to all of you for helping to open a new
chapter in the inclusion of visually impaired and print disabled people, and
we look forward to working with you to realise the life-changing
opportunities the Marrakech Treaty promises.