[Nfbf-l] most recent update for Jim Ellsworth

Sherri flmom2006 at gmail.com
Sun Feb 2 06:25:36 UTC 2014

Good news!
Good morning. On Monday, January 27, we saw Dr. Sotomayor. His plan is to
put Jim on Ibrutinib (trade name Imbruvica); which, Jim actually started
yesterday morning. For those interested in reading about this drug and its
side effects, visit: www.imbruvica.com He will take the oral chemotherapy
daily and around six weeks or thereabouts, he will have another PET scan to
see what progress is being made. Dr. Sotomayor is not ruling out the bone
marrow transplant. After Jim has taken a round of the Imbruvica, he would
also like Jim to redo the pulmonary test. As you may recall, this opinion
differs from what we were told by the transplant doctor. With this bit of
hopeful news, Jim has been using his spirometer a few times a day. As this
medication is so new, for the duration that Jim is on this med, he will be
closely monitored by his doctor and followed by Pharmacyclics, one of the
developers and promoters of the drug. For the next couple of weeks, he will
have labs drawn three times a week to watch his blood counts. Afterwards,
labs will be reduced to once a week, I believe. This upcoming week, he will
be seen by a physician's assistant in Dr. Sotomayor's department. He will
have a follow-up visit with Dr. Sotomayor himself on the following week. The
idea is that Jim will take the oral chemo and we will see if he's able to
pass the pulmonary test this next time. If so, and all of the other
requirements for the BMT are met, Jim will be back on for the BMT. However,
if he's unable to pass the pulmonary test, Jim will continue on the
medication so long as the side effects are not endangering his health; and,
as long as the medication continues to work. Remember that there is only two
years of data from the clinical trial to go on. Much is still unknown with
regards to long-term use. Jim is Dr. Sotomayor's first patient to be placed
on Imbruvica. There is another doctor in the hematological department who
has also prescribed the medication to one or two patients. When Jim is asked
about how he feels about this new therapy, he will tell you that he is
excited about it. It is just four capsules taken at once, once a day. It
seriously beats having to go to the hospital and having to undergo
chemotherapy infusions. Most common side effects are diarrhea, low blood
counts, loss of appetite, fatigue, etc. This is pretty typical of many
chemotherapies. There are of course more severe side effects listed; which,
I will not mention here. The percentage of those who experienced the more
severe ones is small; and, we have been given instructions of symptoms to
watch for with regards to them. I will conclude this update by asking
everyone to please pray and send positive thoughts Jim's way as he starts a
new phase of treatment to continue battling this rare disease. As always, we
are hopeful and positive. Our prayers go out to all of you who are braving
the extreme cold. We also pray for those who too are battling an illness or
have a family member or loved one who is battling illness. "Til next time. .
. Kim
Sent from CaringBridge iPhone App

Sherri

Character is the side of yourself you choose to show the world.
Integrity is what you do, what you say and how you act when you think no one
is paying attention.
Sherri Brun
NFBF Newsline Chair
flmom2006 at gmail.com